Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pocket, Evernote, Springpad

Has anyone had experience with these apps? What are the similarities? The differences? Ease of use? Usefullness? Do I need all three? Any problems with any of them? Anything better?

Flipboard

Has anyone had any experience with Flipboard? I can't get the Support to answer my questions. I am having trouble navigating? Any suggestions. I like mystery books. The application only gives me a few suggestions that don't change. I can't find how to disapprove of any I don't like or want. I think there is supposed to be a link into the iTunes bookstore but I can't find it. I was referred to a web site but my windows don't look anything like the ones I saw there. i can't find a users manual. The support page is no help to me.

Thanks you

Carl

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iPhone, Parallels and Windows 7, TC

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 3:41 PM

15 replies

Apr 27, 2013 6:49 PM in response to Carl Sutherland

I'd suggest you do a Google search. Pocket is a "read it later" service for iOS. Evernote is for notes and snippets for long-term keeping. I don't know about Springpad.

And Flipboard is OK. It's a news reader that can pull from RSS, Flipboard curated services, Facebook, and Twitter (if you have those accounts set up). It's a free product so they may not have time to answer your support questions. It is not for reading mystery books.

These are all iOS applications (Evernote has a Mac application), so the Mountain Lion forum is not the right place. Really, doing a Google search will get you scads of reviews of the products.

Apr 27, 2013 7:05 PM in response to William Lloyd

William,

I have Pocket, Evernote, and Springpad installed on my iMac running 10.8.3. I use them more on my iMac than on my iPhone. I can't even think of any time I have used them on my iPhone. I don't see what is wrong about asking if anyone in this forum has any experience with them to give recommendations. I don't use them much and am looking for suggestions.

I use Flipboard on my iPhone and will search elsewhere for help. I was and am not looking to read mystery books in Flipboard. I think it is supposed to give recommendations about various things users are interested in. If so, it has done a poor job so far.

Carl

Apr 27, 2013 7:10 PM in response to Carl Sutherland

I Can only speak to Evernote

There are versions of Evernote for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows. Everything you enter on any of the platforms or devices you have Evernote on will be synced to all your other systems. So no matter which device you are on you will have your notes.

You can take text notes, capture websites, capture pictures, videos, and audio into Evernote.

I Have found the audio capture useful for recording answering machine messages and sending them to my wife.

Picture capture I've found very useful when conparison shopping. I can take a picture on my iPhone, then add text notes about where I found the item and price, etc…. This has been very useful when furniture shopping, but would apply to new car shopping, new tv, kitchen appliances, etc…. I can the review not notes and pictures at home on my Mac.

Apr 30, 2013 12:17 PM in response to Carl Sutherland

Hi Carl! Great question and I can definitely help. So, by way of a little background, I wrote the Unofficial Guide to using Evernote and sold by Evernote in their Store and also the Official Springpad eBook, which I wrote with the help & guidance of the Springpad Team. Both books are focused in on how to use them from a productivity standpoint. I mention this simply to suggest that I can approach this from an objective standpoint! So, let me lay out for you basically what the purpose of each and the benefits.

First: Ask yourself this question: Why do I need an app like these? In other words, what void are one of these apps trying to fill for you? Is it just for web clipping or a read it later feature you're looking for? If so, you may not need a jack hammer to hang a picture on the wall! So help you figure this out a bit more, let me lay out what Evernote & Springpad's core offerings are for you and some benefits.

Evernote: At its core, it seems like just a note taking application; however, it is so much more. Evernote is available on every device and even has a desktop app. You can take notes, photos, audio, and store any file type as a "note". In essence, it can be your paperless app. Words in photos are even text searchable! You can create notes, notebooks, tags, stack notebooks, nest tags, share notes with the world, privately, and even collaborate with others with the content in your private notebooks. It has a web clipper for every browser to help you clip articles you see on the web you want to reference later. It has official 3rd party apps such as Hello (sort of like a CRM), Food (you can store recipes, take photos of food you at and its integrated with Foursquare and OpenTable), Penultimate (iPad writing app); and Skitch (a really awesome annotation tool for screenshots, PDF's, JPEG's, etc). It also has an open API so there are dozens of 3rd party apps you can find in the Trunk (the store) that integrate with Evernote. Everything ranging from regular scanner integrations to iPhone scanners, audio apps, video apps, Skype, conference calling apps, map apps, etc). There are also several Offline features & functionality as well). Oh, and it works with the famous Moleskine journal as well. I use it for every purpose just outlined above, including using it as a way to capture my kids' artwork and to manage my tasks and project related materials for work. It has a huge hook in both the business and the educational sectors. It's essentially gret for everything from note taking, project planning, going paperless, starting a business, and having your kid to their research assigment!

Springpad: For some time, its been often look to as being a competitor to Evernote, but I think it works great by itself or even complement's one use of the app. In essence, its also a note taking app that allows you to create notes, notebooks, and tags. However, there are some real big differentiators here. First, it's much more visual, and this appeals to the anti-spreadsheet folks of the world, like me. It's got a beautiful layout, showcasing images of your clippings or notes on the cover of each notebook. In addition, what differentiates Springpad is what the app does with your notes. What's cool about Springpad - and what makes it really shine - is what it does to your notes. Let me give you some examples:

1. It's tag line is basically the same as my book: Smarter Notes. Smarter Sharing. A Smarter Way to Get Things Done. This envelopes a lot of the companies' strategy. Let's say I 'spring' a movie, book, or recipe. It's not just static. It's 3rd party partnerships serves up to you links in your notes such as buying movies through Fandango, reviews on Rotten Tomatos, watching on Netflix, buying on iTunes/Amazon, etc. Recipes are super cool because it'll not only generate a recipe shopping list for you, but tell if you if there's coupons at the grocery store. Oh, and if you love wine, you can the barcode and save it and then Snooth.com will offer up more info on the wine + reviews, etc.
  2. Even if none of that appeals to you, you can collaborate for free with clients and colleagues without a Premium charge. I'm working a fairly complex project right now that involves my work and the ability to use Springpad, collaborate, and get notifications of what's been done with my "sharee" is huge.
  3. What can you collaborate on? Notes, tasks, reminders, checklists, events, contacts, places, etc.
  4. The events integrate with Google Calendar.
  5. The tasks have an RSS feed and with a little help through IFTTT, I can get notifications of tasks.
  6. You can setup repeating reminders.It has a "Foursqure'esque" places locator and can save your favorite restaurants.
  7. All of your notes are private but you can easily share with just the people you trust or the whole world through FB/Twitter.
  8. You can upload documents, etc.

There's a good starting point for you. Once you've really analyzed what is most important to you, you can begin to make smart choices as to which tool is best for you. But once you decide - definitely stick with it!

Happy to help answer any other specifics as always.

PS: Pocket: Well, in essence, it is what it is - a read it now web clipper! 🙂

May 1, 2013 5:19 PM in response to dangoldesq

dangoldesq,

What a reply! I'm am going to have to digest this to see where I am. One question I do have is how to use either Evernote or Springpad with my iPhone-particularly with the Dolphin browser. More and more I like Dolphin rather than Safari. If I go to that part of Evernote where it talks about downloads for other devices and says "drag this into your browser" or something like that, I can't do it. The web page moves and I can't get the link to my browser window. There is a long youtube segment on Dolphin and Evernote, but I can't understand what they are saying.

Thank you

Carl

May 1, 2013 6:13 PM in response to Carl Sutherland

Hi Carl! It's absolutely my pleasure! I'm so glad I was able to add some value.

One question I do have is how to use either Evernote or Springpad with my iPhone particularly with the Dolphin browser. More and more I like Dolphin rather than Safari.

I totally agree with you. The Dolphin browser on iOS is fast & responsive. The very best part is the ability to quickly capture web pages to Evernote, very much like the Evernote Clearly browser extension for Chrome and Firefox.

If I go to that part of Evernote where it talks about downloads for other devices and says "drag this into your browser" or something like that, I can't do it.The web page moves and I can't get the link to my browser window. There is a long youtube segment on Dolphin and Evernote, but I can't understand what they are saying.

Can you tell me more about what this looks like? Sorry, not sure what you're referring to!

Always happy to help, and thanks Carl!!

May 1, 2013 7:36 PM in response to dangoldesq

dangoldesq,

Thank you for replying so promptly. I see the Evernote for IOS video on youtube. The girl (using an iPad) clicks on a hollow square with an arrow symbol coming out of it and there is Evernote. I can't find that hollow box with arrow anywhere. How do I get this icon so I can save to Evernote.

Dolphin is amazing! I saw the part about voice commands for web browsing and bought it. Dolphin nails the voice command every time I use it and off I go to that web page.

Carl

May 2, 2013 7:45 PM in response to Carl Sutherland

Carl - First off, thanks so much for purchasing my book! That means a whole lot! If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me over e-mail.

Now I understand what you're referring to! Forgive the silly question, but did you update Dolphin browser on your iOS devices? If not, maybe delete them and then try again? If you take a look at the screenshots below, you can see where my share buttons are in the iOS. I hope this helps, Carl!!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 18, 2013 6:24 PM in response to dangoldesq

Dan,

Are you still there? Evernote is working great on my Dolphin. I haven't tried to install the Springpad Clipper on Dolphin since they told me they don't support Dolphin. Should I try anyway? If so, what are the directions. Springpad is working great on Safari in my IOS devices.

I can't install the Evernote Clipper on Safari in my IOS devices. I've tried several times following the instructions. It looks like it goes OK but when I click on it a window opens that says Safari can't open the page or something like that. The page is not saved. Any suggestions? Have you had any experience with the proprietary app? I don't mind spending a few dollars if it does the job.

Thanks

Carl

Pocket, Evernote, Springpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.