Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the line-in to record low frequencies?

The iPhone with GarageBand is potentially one of the most powerful tools for mobile recording ever. Unfortunately there are several tragic yet avoidable drawbacks that reduce it to nothing more than a mere toy. 1. You can't use the camera usb adapter to bring in loss-less digital stereo input. 2. Even if you could, you can't split the stereo into 2 seperate mono tracks. And to take the cake... 3. You can't do much recording with the 3.5 jack's line-in because you get ABSOLUTELY NO LOWS! This is due to the iPhones roll-off low frequency limiter filter, which i'm told since ios6 can possibly be disabled, though it's not in the Settings and i have yet to find an app that will do it in the background while running Garageband. Sure, the Garageband app could do that, but then it would be a powerful incalculably valuable tool in the hands of everyone. No lows means no drums, no bass, and vocals that sound like...well...like they were recorded via telephone. Yes, it's painfully clear you recorded that demo on a phone, because when you play it back in your home or car it sounds like your listening to someone play it for you on the other end of a phone call. There is no adjustment to compensate for the absence of low frequencies. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME I AM WRONG and that you have a work-around or know of something I've missed. How do you get lows into Garageband???

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3, GarageBand App No Low Frequency

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 8:48 PM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2013 1:20 AM in response to therickfam

The problem is that the 3.5 headset is designed for a mono phone mic, not flat stereo digital audio. The headphone jack has a roll off below 200Hz and probably always will. For decent sound, you always need to go though the lightning connector.

I also use Apogee's Jam and MiC. They sound great. Both are even capable of 24bit audio in on the few apps that support it.

Apr 29, 2013 3:14 PM in response to Kevin Wolfe3

Thanks for the info. I am not wanting flat stereo nor digital input from the 3.5. Only wanting flat mono. But before I go the apogee route (which is a $150-200 solution, not to mention a solution that will add more devices to the connection and thus more opportunities for noise), I will probably just resort to purchasing an ipad (can get a mini for $299) . My mixer has usb out, and I can go straight into the ipad digitally with the usb camera kit, albeit I still can't split 1 stereo channel into 2 mono channels. But I digress: my entire purpose for this post is that i would like to stay as mobile as possible by using the iphone, but with all the darn limitations imposed by no one other than Apple, what could be an easy way to record has been nullified. What's frustrating is that all the components are there and I have them, all the hardware is more than capable; but in both cases (the 3.5 mono or the usb stereo) there is a software feature (or lack thereof) blocking me.

Again if anyone knows of an app that will disable the software low-cut, please respond...

Jun 9, 2013 9:23 PM in response to therickfam

AudioTools by studio six has a recording app that uses the measurement mode to bypass the low cut filter.

I haven't tried it, but supposedly Multitrack DAW can also use measurement mode, and is a pretty popular alternative to garageband.

Another trick that you will run into: you need a special cable with an attenuator to activate the line in. http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-iphone-2trs-a22.htm?CartID=1.

How do I get the line-in to record low frequencies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.