Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage issue

I recently started running out of storage on my iCloud account so I went and turned off almost everything in the settings. I have noticed, however, that even though I have turned off "documents & data" from the iCloud menu, when I go to "Manage Storage" in the same settings, all the list of applications are still there! So then I proceeded to turn off every single app manually and delete their backups.

After doing all this, my next backup size still said that it's over 4.5 GB. I have also turned off Camera Roll!

When everything failed, I decided to go back and turn off contacts, mail, etc. I only left Calendars on since that's the most important thing that I want to sync through all my devices.

After doing alllll this, my next backup is still over 4.5 GB. there is NOO way calendars can take up that much space, right?

As a test, I turned off "documents and data" on another iPhone and the list of apps seemed to disappear from the "manage storage" options on that phone. So my guess is that since the list of apps aren't disappearing from my iPhone even though I DID turn off "documents & data" from the menu options just like the other iPhone, then that's what my iCloud account is still backing up?

ANYONE have a solution to this? It's been driving me crazy!

I have already tried the following and it hasn't solved my problem:
I tried to delete my previous backups completely to do a fresh new backup overnight.
I tried doing a hard reset of the iPhone.

I have tried deleting my iCloud account from the iPhone and signing back in to reset everything.
I also just tried to make a new Apple ID to just backup my iCloud through that brand new account, but the same problem occurred again.

ANY help or tips would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you in advance!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 11:37 PM

Sometimes, after you deleted old backups or app data, it takes a while until the displayed storage capacity refreshes. I would suggest that you just wait, because you are absolutely right, calendars, notes cannot take that much space.

I guess that you also tried that, right?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4009:

"Backup storage quota

If you turned off iCloud Backup, and do not see your available storage increase as expected, try the following:

1. From an iOS device that does not have iCloud Backup enabled, choose Settings > iCloud.
  2. Tap Storage & Backup.
  3. Turn on iCloud Backup.
  4. Tap Manage Storage.
  5. Select the name of your device.
  6. Select Delete Backup. Select Turn Off & Delete."
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2013 11:37 PM in response to Aznive06

Sometimes, after you deleted old backups or app data, it takes a while until the displayed storage capacity refreshes. I would suggest that you just wait, because you are absolutely right, calendars, notes cannot take that much space.

I guess that you also tried that, right?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4009:

"Backup storage quota

If you turned off iCloud Backup, and do not see your available storage increase as expected, try the following:

1. From an iOS device that does not have iCloud Backup enabled, choose Settings > iCloud.
  2. Tap Storage & Backup.
  3. Turn on iCloud Backup.
  4. Tap Manage Storage.
  5. Select the name of your device.
  6. Select Delete Backup. Select Turn Off & Delete."

iCloud storage issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.