Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original and duplicate version stick together

Hey,

I just duplicated a picture in Aperture 3 and wanted to move the duplicate in a diffrent project but both version stick together. If i move one, the other follows..

Does anybody have an idea how i can change this?

Best regards, Stéph

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.5), MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 1:36 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2013 1:59 AM in response to PekalaColles

Stéph, that is built into Aperture and no way to change it. An image and all its versions will always be in the same project. You can however add the versions to different albums.

If you want copies of an image in other projects you have to import it again as a different image or duplicate the original image file, not only create a new version. But that woud be wasteful and require the storage space for the second original file. To create a duplicate original file in another project drag the image with the options key ⌥ held down.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 28, 2013 5:51 AM in response to PekalaColles

Hi Stéph,

This usually comes up as someone learns Aperture. You might find my short guide to the parts of Aperture useful at this point. I have long argued that the naming of "Projects" is the single worst interface decision made by the Aperture design team -- it leads users to set up a Library structure that does not work well with Aperture's parts. It seems you may be trying to do this.

Léonie has already homed in on the short answer: Use Albums. I strongly suggest changing the structure of your Library rather than relying on creating duplicate Originals to make your current structure work the way you want.

HTH,

--Kirby.

Apr 28, 2013 6:18 AM in response to PekalaColles

Hey Guys,

okay i find out that by keeping ''atl'' pressed while moving the image did wha i was looking for.

could you help me to set up properly my library?

...''Your workflow is

• shoot
  • import as Project(s)
  • add image-specific metadata
  • organize into Albums, organize Albums and Projects with Folders
  • make adjustments to images (crop, rotate, change exposure, etc. etc. etc)
  • prepare for publication

...'

how do i organize my projects into albums?

(my current library)

User uploaded file

Regards, Stéphane

Apr 28, 2013 7:33 AM in response to PekalaColles

okay i find out that by keeping ''atl'' pressed while moving the image did wha i was looking for.

BY holding the atl key while dragging the image what you have done is created a duplicate of the original file. This is wasteful of disk space and very rarely needed to be done in Aperture.

While an image has to be in one and only one project it can appear in as many albums as you want. The versions that you put in the albums take up very little additional space on your HD in compassion to what a duplicate of the original takes up.

There are many different ways to organize using albums. The albums can be under the project that the images are in or the albums can be off in there own Aperture data structure. Which one you use depends on what you are trying to accomplish. In most libraries you'll find a combination of the two as one works well for somethings and the other works better for others.

regards

Apr 28, 2013 7:55 AM in response to PekalaColles

Stéphane,

looking at your library I see, that the structure is already very sound.

You are having projects names by locations and dates, contained in folders grouping them by locations - Paris, Germany, America, etc.

See the projects and folders as storage structure, like Kirby's User Tip explains.

The albums you create will give you a more convenient retrieval structure, and that should reflect, how you most frequently will want to access your images.

If family photos are important to you, create albums and folders with family members and family events; if you are into wildlife and nature photography, create albums with wildlife and nature selections.

Most of my albums are smart albums based on keywords and other tags. I use hierarchical keywords:

Nature > Animal > Predator > Lion

Cheetah

Leopard

Nature > Animal > Bird > Condor

> Vulture

And based on these keywords I have a folders with several smart albums like "Keyword is Lion" and "Rating is > ***"

Another folder contains scenery albums, and another one albums for flowers and and other plants.

Keywords are very convenient to assign an image to several albums at once.

Léonie

Original and duplicate version stick together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.