Announcement: Update to iOS 12

Enjoy a faster and more responsive experience as well as fun new features, like Memoji and Camera Effects.
Get iOS 12 > https://support.apple.com/ios/update

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Lack of a forward delete key

The lack of a forward delete key is absurd, how does the community communicate with Apple that this is a SERIOUS PROBLEM? I have yet to meet anyone who does not say in the opening conversation about otherwise brilliant kit, that it has no forward delete key and how very peculiar this is. Yet it is still not fixed. How can this be? Has Apple lost the plot?

MacBook

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

I Agree too! I wanted a pad for mobile computing and heard so much praise for the Apple min iPad that I bought one. Unfortunately, praise seems to have been based on hype. The lack of forward delete and the slow and clunky operations to get the important things done are the main drawbacks. All that and still no forward delete after several iOS updates! Never mind garage bands and other droS's, Apple, get the basics working properly! I also miss the convenient Windows drop down menus under Edit,where one could request Undo (last action) etc. Pity that Microsoft is now trying to emulate Apple OS with Win 10!

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Apr 28, 2013 3:34 AM in response to Diavonex In response to Diavonex

Thanks for taking the trouble. I know about the magnifier, which has its place.

But my question is why have a backspace key but no forward delete key. Do the designers only make their mistakes in one direction?

Apr 28, 2013 3:34 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 28, 2013 3:48 AM in response to whyisitsodifficult In response to whyisitsodifficult

whyisitsodifficult wrote:

But my question is why have a backspace key but no forward delete key. Do the designers only make their mistakes in one direction?

I can't recall every using forward delete. In fact, I had to look up if it was even possible on a Mac. In order to forward delete, I'd have to move the insertion point back, then activate forward delete, then delete. Why not just delete?

No one here would know why Apple made this particular UI decision. It is unlikely that they will answer you. It does state on the Feedback page not to expect a response.

Apr 28, 2013 3:48 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 28, 2013 3:53 AM in response to whyisitsodifficult In response to whyisitsodifficult

Ok, but that begs the question, why is Forward Delete so vital. Both methods would require moving the cursor/insertion point to either the beginning or the end of the mistakenly typed section. Then tap, tap, tap to delete the offending characters and retype the correct characters. Either method would amount to the exact same number of steps.

Apr 28, 2013 3:53 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 28, 2013 4:30 AM in response to stedman1 In response to stedman1

I can tell that you are puzzled. All I can really say is that I am forever using the 'fn' and backspace key together or fiddling with the magnifier on my iPad and iPhone. As others have said on this topic, this is a deal-breaker on whether to use Apple. I would add that I discuss Apple wherever I travel becasue people like the look of the MacBook Air and ask. They then always mention the delete key as the biggest off-putting feature. I like Apple, I want them to win the sales war, but it is not who bought your stuff that matters in the end, its why they didn't.

To be honest I just want them to fix the problem so I don't have to hear about the lack of a delete key anymore. Most of my conversations are more interesting than this, please believe me!

Apr 28, 2013 4:30 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 28, 2013 4:40 AM in response to whyisitsodifficult In response to whyisitsodifficult

I'm not sure what I could suggest. There are exactly the same number of steps to "forward delete" a typing mistake as there would be in a "back delete". I have always used the back delete function on any computer I have used, be that a Mac or a Windows based computer. For me, the forward delete key is quite unnecessary.

Apr 28, 2013 4:40 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 28, 2013 5:27 AM in response to whyisitsodifficult In response to whyisitsodifficult

They then always mention the delete key as the biggest off-putting feature.

I've spent the last 16 year of my professional life supporting a variety of high tech products, including iPhones, iPads and Mac computers. No one, ever, has asked about a forward delete key. The only time I've ever heard anyone mention the lack of a foward delete key is the rare posting here in these forums. I think we both understand that this is an important feature to you. However, I assure you, the vast majority of the computer using population neither knows nor cares nor makes their computer or tablet buying decisions based on this one (in the grand scheme of things) trivial function.

Apr 28, 2013 5:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 28, 2013 5:52 AM in response to whyisitsodifficult In response to whyisitsodifficult

They then always mention the delete key as the biggest off-putting feature. I like Apple, I want them to win the sales war,

I do not want Apple to win any wars. I want to always have a choice.

Apr 28, 2013 5:52 AM

Reply Helpful

May 3, 2013 12:06 PM in response to stedman1 In response to stedman1

At times when using the magnifier, esp while walking or in a moving vehicle, I end up to the left of the letter I want to delete instead of to the right. It would be great to just hit a delete-right key instead of having to use the magnifier again. Having a left and right arrow key would be even better, thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Ross

May 3, 2013 12:06 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

May 3, 2013 12:26 PM in response to Ross. In response to Ross.

This.^

Having directional buttons, even if they were accessed from another sub-keyboard or something, would make so much difference in the user experience. Not that the magnifying glass is a terrible pain to use or anything, but it can be a bother when you only need to move the insertion point one or two places back/forward - especially if you're working with a large document or happen to be in the car/plane/bus.

May 3, 2013 12:26 PM

Reply Helpful

May 6, 2013 4:21 AM in response to SHaisley In response to SHaisley

I think that you have identified my issue. I normally work on large documents in a car/plane/ bus. So this is part of my issue, the other fact being I can't type well ! I also use voice to text a lot and have to correct one word in twelve.

May 6, 2013 4:21 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: whyisitsodifficult

Question: Lack of a forward delete key