Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office 365 Anti-Virus?

Hi All,

I know the OS X third-party Anti-Virus question has been answered Ad nauseam, but my question regards Office 2011 for MAC, with MS Office reputation of being a real magnet for picking-up nasty stuff, do I need need a third-party anti-nasty tool when using MS Office on a MAC?

IMHO OS X is already well protected, but as we have seen with Java, this protection doesn't always extend to third-party applications.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 1:52 AM

See what others have to say, but IMHO the short answer is 'no' - you don't need it.

2 replies

Apr 28, 2013 4:07 AM in response to martinfrompoole

There are no currently-known vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that allow malware to be installed. The only one that is being used right now to install malware on Macs is a vulnerability in Office 2004 and 2008 that was patched by Microsoft in June of 2009. So, any Mac with a different version of Office, or one where the Office updater has been run at least once since mid-2009, is safe at this time.

Word macro viruses are a remote possibility, now that Microsoft has added their scripting language back to Office, but those are pretty rare. Just make sure that Office is set to not load such scripts.

Office 365 Anti-Virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.