Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Service Battery' warning on Macbook Pro after a RAM upgrade?

I have an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro and I recently purchased a RAM upgrade of 16GB going from the orignal 4GB. When I installed the memory everything went well and it recognised it fine. I have noticed however in the weeks afterwards my battery life seemed to of decreased. It took me awhile to remember I had done the RAM, once I did I looked it up and apparently it should barely affect the Macbooks battery.

Now just two days ago I have noticed I am getting the 'Service Battery' notification and the battery life is definitely not what is should be 4 maybe 5 hours. Does anyone know of this happening? I know Apple don't technically support more tahn 8GB of memory so I was wondering if this might be the problem or could it be something else entirely?

I am currently at 299 cycle count and the computer is coming on 2 years old. When fully charged a used Coconut Battery software to check the battery status and it was saying that it wasn't actually fully charged.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 1:58 AM

I doubt that the problem is related to the maximum memory. If your Mac detects more memory than the amount it can use, it won't recognize the memory.

The first thing you should try is to reset the SMC > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 This helps you to discard a software-related problem, because something could change in the SMC when you installed more memory. Also, I would like to know the actual battery capacity, so open coconutBattery and tell me what percentage is under "Battery capacity"

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2013 1:58 AM in response to wanted797

I doubt that the problem is related to the maximum memory. If your Mac detects more memory than the amount it can use, it won't recognize the memory.

The first thing you should try is to reset the SMC > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 This helps you to discard a software-related problem, because something could change in the SMC when you installed more memory. Also, I would like to know the actual battery capacity, so open coconutBattery and tell me what percentage is under "Battery capacity"

'Service Battery' warning on Macbook Pro after a RAM upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.