Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost music

Hey all,

I am trying to play my itunes songs and each time i oress on a song to play it comes up with a message saying unable to loctae original file. When i type in the song name in the search nothing comes up. Where have all my songs gone???

Windows 8

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 7:22 AM

6 replies

Apr 30, 2013 3:38 AM in response to bessyp

Where are the tracks? Where does iTunes think they are? Use CTRL+I to Get Info. on a broken track, say No when prompted to locate and look at the summary tab. The location will begin file://localhost. Now find out where the file really is, just search for the filename & extension, e.g. 01 Help!.mp3

It may be possible to move a section of folders to where iTunes expects to find them, or correct a preference file if the difference between paths is an additional \Music folder. Alternatively, I have a script called FindTracks that may be able to relink the media if pointed at the folder where the files are stored.

tt2

Jul 5, 2013 4:16 AM in response to bessyp

Can you post back one of the paths beginning file://localhost? It may give me clues as to what has happened. Have you searched the entire computer for a target file name? You may need to jump through some hoops to get Windows to search properly... Did anything happen prior to things going wrong like a crash or working with another media player?

tt2

lost music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.