Skip navigation

best external hard drive

1682 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2013 8:03 AM by dwb RSS
90x Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 28, 2013 5:48 AM

opinions on external hard drive?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)
  • budd125 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Apr 28, 2013 8:37 AM (in response to 90x)

i don't know what the best is but i use a seagate backup plus 3tb usb3.0 and it seems fine so far.

• rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (40,615 points)
    Apr 28, 2013 8:51 AM (in response to 90x)

90x wrote:

opinions on external hard drive?

There is no such thing as "Best external HD", you need to specifiy what your needs are in order for  people to narrow down choices.

• Choctaw20 Calculating status...
    Sep 20, 2013 8:56 AM (in response to 90x)

Got me a 2TB G-drive 0G02529 silver model seems to be a fine choice, fits right in with the looks of my new iMac. USB 3.0 / FireWire, 7200 RPM.

• Brom954 Calculating status...
    Nov 8, 2013 3:27 AM (in response to 90x)

I would recomend a 1TB USB 3.0 from any major company (Seagate, Toshiba, OWC, etc.). Although your computer does not support USB 3.0, it is nice to have if you ever upgrade.

• mpittscampbell Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 3, 2013 7:32 AM (in response to rkaufmann87)

Let me narrow MY choices down and see if you folks have a good suggestion: eMac running 10.4.11 and MacBook Pro 17" (late 2007, w/Intel) running Mavericks. Suggested external hard drive for back-ups? Want to use it for both computers.

• dwb Level 6 Level 6 (19,705 points)
    Dec 3, 2013 8:03 AM (in response to 90x)

There are basically two schools of thought -

1) buy an external driive from a reputable company. The problem is you don't know what kind of drive is inside nor do you know anything about the enclosure's chipset.

2) roll your own. Buy an enclosure from a reputable company that discloses what chipset it uses and offers a good warranty. (I prefer Icy Dock and OWC) Then buy exactly the drive you want. For backup purposes I do not buy consumer drives, I buy drives made for enterprise servers. They cost more but they are made to higher standards than consumer drives.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.