Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternative to secure empty trash?

I've just recently had to rebuild my desktop after a cable failure ruined my back-up hard drive. In the process, I ended up with duplicate user profiles (and all related preferences and data). I moved the duplicates to my trash.

Is there a way to completely remove them now other than secure empty trash? I ask because after 4 days of continuous file deletion in secure empty trash, when it got to the last file, it crashed. When I rebooted, the trash was still full & nothing had been deleted.

(Sure hope that made sense.)

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 8:51 AM

Go to /Applications /Utilities/Terminal and launch it.

At the prompt, copy and paste this command

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

Press Return.

You will be asked to enter your admin password. It will be invisible.

Enter it and press Return.

Log out and back in or restart.

Let us know.

16 replies

Apr 28, 2013 9:41 AM in response to Meggity

~/.Trash

is the folder that the Trash bin, you see on the Dock, uses to preserve documents when you trash them.

~ is your home directory

/ is a path separator

.Trash is the folder name

So, the command tells OSX to remove (rm), recursively without asking for confirmation (-rf), that folder and all of its content.

I will suggest to modify the command like this

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

remove only the content but preserve the .Trash folder

Apr 28, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Alberto - I did as you suggested and several individual files were deleted. Thank you!

However, there are several backup folders from the external harddrive that had been removed to the trash that were not deleted by the sudo rm - rf ~/.Trash/* command.

Any thoughts on that? Or maybe I should be asking how backups from an external hard drive can be deleted without moving them to the desktop trash folder. Perhaps I can move them back on to the external drive from the trash and deleted them while still on the drive?

Clueless......

Alternative to secure empty trash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.