Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer and play movies on ipad mini

I'm not succeeding with this, in spite of following so many different instructions.

First: how do I get videos (my own Quicktime or iMovies, other videos such as MP4, AVI, etc.?

Second: do all videos need to be converted to iTunes m4v format?

Third: is iTunes the only way to play videos/movies? Or is there an equivalent to, say, the good old standard QuickTime?

Fourth: Must I first transfer to iCloud in order to get videos on to the iPad mini? *I ask this because my primary Mac, is my Mac Pro but it is 2007 model and cannot be upgraded to Mt. Lion, hence, cannot fully access iCloud. I did buy Lion and tried upgrading it but it made such a mess of things I went back to Snow Leopard. That said, I did install and still have Lion on my MacBook Pro.

Fifth: Since I do have Lion on my MacBook Pro, I did connect the iPad Mini to it and that is when I began trying all the ways I could find to get movies from my MacBook Pro to the iPad. I even used my WonderShare Video Converter Ultimate for Mac and converted a few videos beforehand to m4v.

Sixth: If I did succeed getting the videos transferred, I cannot tell.

Finally, I began searching the App store for Movie or Video Players for the iPad. I downloaded two, Video Converter App; and Media Player. And I have iTunes on the iPad.

So, can anyone help me with this? How do I play movies on the iPad Mini; how do I figure out if they exist on the iPad (did I succeed in transferring them?)

When I open iTunes, after supposedly transferring a few, all I see are videos to buy. The Purchased button does not help since I did not buy these. I made them on my Mac.

Thanks for any assistance

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 9:57 AM

All videos needs to be converted M4v or MP4 in order to play a video via iTunes :)

14 replies

Apr 28, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Noodle-head

UPDATE:

Umm, I feel pretty silly because I just noticed an App named "Videos" on the iPad dock. When I clicked it, two of the videos I had converted to m4v before trying to transfer, were there, and played.

I never saw this Video app on the dock before. Did something I did in all my aforementioned efforts cause it to download, or was it always there by default, and I somehow overlooked it?

Either way, I'm still not sure which of my efforts did make the transfers work, and what the options are for video types and ways to transfer to iPad. Especially, is there a way to do so using my MacPro (Snow Leopard) since that is where I do all my video work?

Thanks again

May 24, 2015 10:05 AM in response to Noodle-head

I have created videos in Final Cut Pro, then converted the completed video using Final Cut Pro to selecting the Apple Devices within the Final Cut Pro software for viewing on iPad mini. I have also tried to convert a mov. file created in Final Cut Pro to a m4v file suitable for play on iPad, but iTunes will either not add the file to the iTunes library or for example when converting the original mov. file created within Final Cut Pro then converting that master mov. file into a mv4 file using handbrake or other software a message comes up saying it can't be played on iPad.

I am trying to find a way to convert video from within Final Cut Pro as once I do this, the finished video is causing glitches and pixelation in some parts of the movie when viewed on iPad mini 3 when using the formatting procedure within Final Cut Pro.

I think there is a problem with iTunes or iPad mini's.

transfer and play movies on ipad mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.