Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is GarageBand any good for a Logic Pro user?

Is there any use having GarageBand installed alongside Logic Pro? Does it have any features, loops, sounds, instruments, which are not available to Logic Pro users unless they have GarageBand? For example, iPhoto contains the books feature, but Aperture doesn't.

I realize GarageBand has those instrument lessons or "Magic GarageBand", but they're not really part of the "GarageBand proper", you don't use those to produce music in the main environment.

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 1:30 PM

I can't think of any GB feature that Logic doesn't have. The big pro is it's simplicity - you can do quick and dirty arrangements and recordings and later flesh them out in Logic since Logic can open GB projects.

4 replies

Apr 29, 2013 1:13 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

Thanks a lot, I thought as much.

The thing is that although I realize that GB is much easier to move around in and nicer to look at, I never use it even for basic musical sketches, beacuse I'm already so familiar with Logic, I have my workflow I'm accustomed to even for basic tasks (I however ocassionally use the iOS GarageBand when on the go, and thankfully Logic can also open its projects).

Apr 29, 2013 2:23 PM in response to Christoph Drösser

Actually, there are quite a few features in GarageBand that are not available in Logic:

• Podcast Track: Chapter Markers, Artwork, URLs
  • Create Ringtone: automatically saved as Ringtone type to iTunes
  • Loop Family: switch between Loops with the popup menu on the Region
  • ArrangeTracks: Edit whole sections with those Regions
  • Pre-assign ID tags for all your bounces
  • Automatic Level Control for audio input
  • Learn to Play
  • Magic GarageBand
  • Save a GarageBand Project (not an audio file) so it can be played in any iLife app.

Of course, I cover all those features in my GarageBand manual

Here is a screenshot of cool Loop Family feature that I wished Logic would have

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Is GarageBand any good for a Logic Pro user?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.