Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote video stops

I have Keynote 09 5.1.1 on a MacBook Pro and Mini

A 1.2 GB .MOV video is brought into Media then placed into a slide.

It does not automatically start.

Using Inspector the Build In is Start Movie (automatically after transition) The slide quickly transitions to the next slide before the video is finished. If the Start Transition is delayed by 10 seconds it will play 10 seconds of the video before begining the transition. The maximum delay is 60 seconds which is not long enough to play the entire video.

Using the Build Out of Stop Movie does not help.

Do you see a solution to this?

MBook - iMac - PowerPc

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 10:21 AM

The settings you have made for video playback are bit odd.

Have you set this up deliberately? Movies on slides play automatically by default.

Using Inspector the Build In is Start Movie (automatically after transition)

There is no need to use Builds to play the movie, they start playing automatically. Is there a reason to do this?

The maximum delay is 60 seconds which is not long enough to play the entire video.

In fact the maximum delay on a slide is 600 seconds (10 minutes) This is set up in:

Inspector > Slide > Transition > Start Transition: Automatically > Delay: 600

If the movie is a longer duration, split the movie in to two clips at a suitable cut point using your video editing application and place on two slides. Adjust the slide delay to match the duration of the clip. The two clips will play one after the other.

Post back to confirm if this works.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2013 10:21 AM in response to RDL333

The settings you have made for video playback are bit odd.

Have you set this up deliberately? Movies on slides play automatically by default.

Using Inspector the Build In is Start Movie (automatically after transition)

There is no need to use Builds to play the movie, they start playing automatically. Is there a reason to do this?

The maximum delay is 60 seconds which is not long enough to play the entire video.

In fact the maximum delay on a slide is 600 seconds (10 minutes) This is set up in:

If the movie is a longer duration, split the movie in to two clips at a suitable cut point using your video editing application and place on two slides. Adjust the slide delay to match the duration of the clip. The two clips will play one after the other.

Post back to confirm if this works.

Apr 28, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Gary Scotland

I previously tried to enter 66 seconds but the time reverted to the original 10 seconds. According to your note I looked up the video length in Media then plugged that in. It appears to work. It mystifies me why previous attempts did not work. Perhaps there is a finickyness to the time format which eluded me. Hence a person must delay the Transition for long enough to show the video tather than the Transition automatically starting at the end of the Movie.

It appears therefore that the Build In - Start Movie is only used if the slide must start with another action other than show Movie.

Apr 28, 2013 12:08 PM in response to RDL333

It appears therefore that the Build In - Start Movie is only used if the slide must start with another action other than show Movie.

Yes. if you wanted to bring in text with a wipe, then show the video with a flip on a single slide you use builds.

Builds are used to add special effects to objects on a single slide; text, photos, graphics.

Transitions are used to add an effect to the whole slide; between two slides

Apr 28, 2013 9:28 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Keynote, did not keep the delay requested but after 4 tries the time of 458 seconds remained but the video now is a black screen. The program played at a distance via Logmein therefore it is not possible to know if the sound played. I will transfer the video file to this computer to attempt to repeat the experience. Better yet perhaps someone will know what is happening.

Keynote video stops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.