Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help turingtest2!!!

I have read most of your advice and you seem well versed in all this itunes craziness.

I think my playlists and libraries were corrupted by AVG. I followed all the online advice (updated AVG, disabled AVG and then found an old library and renamed it to current)

None of this worked.

THe only way it worked was to reinstall iTUnes 10.7 and use a pre-sept 2012 library., But then it "couldnt locate tracks". I did what you said and found location. Apparently the true music was in media folder/iTunes Music/iTunes Music/ artist/etc... SInce I had an Itunes Music folder within a folder, It tried to use the "find tracks" script and use that pathway, but it didnt work.

I tried reupdating to iTunes 11, but again no help.

Where I am now is worse

Currentlly running iTunes 11, with a sept-2012 library. Now when I follow the folders, the music is no longer in the final pathway. Eventhuogh the iTunes music folder says on "properties" that it is 54 gig large, when I go into each artist's folder...it is empty!!

I did run the start/find iTunes app and was able to find the true tracks, however it still points to the empty folder as the area of music????? Each time I try to go to my music and follow different pathways, I am no longer able to identify the actual individual tracks under the artist's folders. I even tried to consolodate music, but no help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 11:00 AM

19 replies

Apr 28, 2013 11:44 AM in response to docdino

So as I see it iTunes is looking at:

C:\Users\Mark\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Compilations\Slumdog Millionaire\04 Paper Planes.m4a

But the file has been moved down to

C:\Users\Mark/Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\iTunes Music\iTunes Music\Compilations\Slumdog Millionaire\04 Paper Planes.m4a

Correct? If so point FindTracks at C:\Users\Mark/Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\iTunes Music\iTunes Music\ and it should work. Turn off the Keep Organized preference before you start. We can talk tidying up once you're got the files connected.

tt2

Apr 28, 2013 12:39 PM in response to turingtest2

Looks good so far. THe Find Tracks program has been working for 30 minutes, but occasionally stops with the error code " The function "ExFromKind" needs updating to generate correct files of type: Purchased MPEG-4 video file"

Any suggestions.

And FYI this looks to be a great program, but if on the instructions page you could add "turn off keep organized" on preferences. THat was my mistake (unbeknownst to me!!)

Apr 28, 2013 4:47 PM in response to turingtest2

New build tested & uploaded.

When you've got the files reconnected you should make sure the media folder in Edit > Preferences > Advanced reads:

C:\Users\Mark\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\

Then you can enable the option to Keep iTunes Media folder organized again if you disabled it earlier. You should also visit File > Library > Organize Library... and tick Rearrange files in the folder iTunes Media if not already ticked. When it is done music files will be at:

C:\Users\Mark\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext>

which is the default layout.

tt2

Apr 29, 2013 1:09 AM in response to docdino

You're welcome. 🙂

The new version should have fixed the "ExtFromKind" error, if not let me know and I will look at my tweak again.

Since "Rearrange..." is greyed out there is no need to change anything. It is the option that puts music files in <Media Folder>\Music\<Artist>\etc. as opposed to <Media Folder>\<Artist>\etc. which is how it was done prior to iTunes 9.

Most everything? Having fixed music you may need to go through Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts etc. and fix those in a similar fashion.

When everything is fixed you ought to backup your library. 😉

tt2

Apr 12, 2014 5:15 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi Steve, you might want to handle this one offline.

Short story long: Back around 2006 I realised I could get all my hundreds of CDs onto an iPod, and manage them on a Mac. So I converted from Windows to Apple, and gave all my CDs to Oxfam.

Soon after Match was released I signed up. I had ~6600 tracks, many classical, which took a couple of weeks to upload. Soon after I found Match was replacing my Apple Lossless 256kbps tracks with 128kbps! I quickly stopped it, signed out of Match as best I could.

Next I found Match was still active, downloading stuff to my tiny 16GB iPhone 4s. I didn't want any music there, I need 128GB for the whole lot. I guess I found a Setting to stop that.

So in early Jan I started repairs. First thing was to delete the trivial stuff from (i?)Cloud whic Match had downloaded to the iPhone. Then I started to work between my old Mbook, newer mbPro.

Then I found 902 tracks had been deleted. Unbelievably it also seemed missing from Time Capsule. I sent a post to one of your fora but it was deleted inside an hour.

So more repair work, starting from iPad. This generated many many duplicates. Then I found stuff starting to vanish, eventually I saw it actually happening when I had several windows open.

Somewhere around this time I made a post, and en passent casually alluded to iTunes repair work. That post was deleted before the next morning.

So since then I've been trying to cleanup. Near the end of last week I'd got stuff copied to an external drive, so I removed ALL music from the mbp and over the last couple of days I began to rebuild a brand new iTunes on the mbp, en route painfully undoing all the "Part of a Compilation" checkmarks (took many hours). I started Time Machine and went to bed late last night. Today I finished the tedious NOT-compilation work, then added all the artists, in groups of up to about 8 at a time.

After I'd had a meal, I found the a Compilations folder had reappeared, with I don't know how many artists/albums in it. Then when I went to my external drive, I found every folder I'd created there was empty. With it went all the new/fixed-up stuff yet to be processd.

I realised months ago that Apple must reckon I'm a pirate, because of all the copying about that I was doing. But I assure you I am not, Steve. EVERY SINGLE ITEM in my library I'd bought and paid for. Mostly CDs, a lot of them from charity shops (I've stopped that now, I only find compilation CDs or too-popuar stuff nowadays), plus only a modest amount from the iTunes Store (and one from Amazon).

So please please help Steve:

1. Tell Apple and/or their systems I am NOT a Pirate, I'm just trying fix up my library.

2. Please tell me that all the stuff Apple has deleted is in the cloud? And there's a directory, like an iTunes Library.xml?

3. How should I go about recovery?

~David Whitford

Need Help turingtest2!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.