Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking to get rid of my Powermac

The time has come for me to step into the 21st Century and get rid of my old PowerMac 2.0Ghz G5 w/ 20" cinema display. Does anyone know of any resources in terms of people that will buy old tech. I know the unit itself is probably not worth more than $150 dollars, but I would prefer to avoid the Ebay route because I do not have the original box and it would be a pain to ship it.

I would also be open minded to suggestions as far as possible uses for the machine. I really don't have much space but if I can use this for something other than a bookend, I'd be openminded.

Thanks community 🙂

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 5:09 PM

8 replies

Apr 29, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Suspekt

I would also be open minded to suggestions as far as possible uses for the machine.

I know several who, after clearing all the important files from a PowerMac or iMac ready for retirement, installed the latest version of iTunes that the hardware would handle. Then they added some decent speakers and turning the computer into a nice digital jukebox. One guy has his in the living room. A lady in town has a G4 iMac on an enclosed porch where she entertains. The visualizer adds another element to the audio tracks. The owners seem happy with the outcome.

Apr 29, 2013 10:06 PM in response to Suspekt

Exact same G5/20" setup as yours - lots of uses:

1. The CD/DVD burner turns out to be significantly faster than those on any of my Intel machines so I use it for making DVDs

2. The second drive bay is very handy for backing up large size files such as FCP X projects of over a hundred GB. Insert the backup HD in the G5 and transfer data via FW 800. Fast.

3. Still have odds and ends of PPC programs that I run at times and my non-Rosetta machines don't handle that any more.

4. With an Elgato eyeTV Hybrid dongle and digital rabbit ears antenna a very nice HD television set for broadcast sports etc.

5. A terabyte boot HD partitioned with 750 GB of archive files easily accessible via the LAN.

6. And finally I use it for troubleshooting various glitches to see if they are OS dependent by trying out things on 10.5.8.

Very useful system - I will be sad to see it go when it finally goes poof.

Looking to get rid of my Powermac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.