Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This app is incompatible with this iPhone".

My sister just got a used iPhone from Game Stop for my nephew and i am trying to download a few games for him. However, whenever I hit install app it says "This app is incompatible with this iPhone". What do I need to do?

iPhone 4

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 6:22 PM

What model of the phone is it, and what iOS is installed on the phone. The iOS is listed under Settings, General, About.

17 replies

Apr 28, 2013 6:23 PM in response to JsparkyDavis

See the chart below to determine whether you can upgrade your device and what you can upgrade to.

IPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad iOS Compatibility Chart

Device iOS Verson

iPhone 1 iOS 3.1.3

iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1

iPhone 3GS iOS 6.1.x

iPhone 4 iOS 6.1.x

iPhone 4S iOS 6.1.x

iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.x

-------------------------------------------------------

iPod Touch 1 iOS 3.1.3

iPod Touch 2 iOS 4.2.1

iPod Touch 3 iOS 5.1.1

iPod Touch 4 iOS 6.1.x

iPod Touch 5 iOS 6.1.x

-------------------------------------------------------

iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1

iPad 2 iOS 6.1.x

iPad 3 iOS 6.1.x

iPad 4 iOS 6.1.x

iPad Mini iOS 6.1.x

=====================================

Select the method most appropriate for your situation. If you are trying to upgrade to iOS 5 or higher, then you will have to connect your device to your computer and open iTunes in order to upgrade.

Upgrading iOS

1. How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch

2. iPhone Support

3. iPod Touch Support

4. iPad Support

a. Updating Your iOS to Version 6.0.x from iOS 5

Tap Settings > General > Software Update

If an update is available there will be an active Update button. If you are current,

then you will see a gray screen with a message saying your are up to date.

b. If you are still using iOS 4 Updating your device to iOS 5 or later.

c. Resolving update problems

1. iOS - Unable to update or restore

2. iOS- Resolving update and restore alert messages

If the problem is not due to the version of iOS then look at the system requirements of the game.

Apr 28, 2013 6:35 PM in response to JsparkyDavis

That is the iOS version. More than likely it is a 3G, and iOS 4.2.1 is the latest version it supports. Many of the newer, more popular apps require iOS 5 or above. There is nothing you can do about that, it is a decision of the app developer. All of the apps generally post what iOS is required. Is there a particular app you are referring to?

Apr 8, 2014 8:25 PM in response to tavyboy1

There may be something else that apps needs besides being compatible with iOS 4 or later. I would check with the app developer or their support website to see what other requirements there are.

If you look in the app store, you will see that in addition to iOS 4 or later, the app requires a 3GS or higher to operate. That is why it will not download for the iPhone 3G.

Message was edited by: ChrisJ4203

"This app is incompatible with this iPhone".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.