Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Mountain Lion scan incoming email in Mac Mail?

I've been using Avast for my Mac but I had to turn off the Mail Shield in order to recieve mail. I was wondering if Mountain Lion has any security measures for Mac Mail? Does it scan incomging email?

New to the Mac world sorry for my ignorance, I'm learning:)

Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 7:05 PM

No, it doesn't scan incoming mail for attachments.

The fact that Mail Shield had to be turned off for you to receive mail should let you know that AV products are a waste of bits.

4 replies

Apr 29, 2013 3:02 AM in response to PHilScar

Technically, it sort of scans e-mail attachments. If you receive something that can be executed on a Mac - an application, a Unix shell script, etc - then it will be scanned when you try to open it. If it is one of a few known Mac trojans, you will be prevented from opening it. If it is Windows malware of some kind, you won't be able to open it, but you also won't be warned either.

For more information, see my Mac Malware Guide.

Does Mountain Lion scan incoming email in Mac Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.