Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iMac on it's way out?

Hi there, please let me know if i'm in the wrong section. I'm new to this forum and it's not laid out like others.

I've got an imac early 2008 8.1 2.66ghz iMac. It's all original.

I've been having trouble booting lately. and if the computer does boot, after a while, I get some crazy atrifacting on the screen.

Here's the weird part, when I do a screen shot, the artifacts are saved to the screenshot so, it's not a monitor issue.

Earlier today the artifacts started spazzing out (for lack of better terms) and eventually ended up turning the computer to a black, back-lit screen.

Where do I start troubleshooting? Since the artifacting started, I've updated from 10.7 to 10.8 successfully. So i doubt it's an installation issue or a hard drive problem.

I'm thinking... logic board or ram. Any ideas? I've tried searching but, this does not seem to be a common problem.

[IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/burgurboy/IMG_20130428_211957_zpsc6031 e56.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/burgurboy/IMG_20130428_211025_zpsb16c8 c37.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 7:00 PM

10 replies

Apr 28, 2013 7:22 PM in response to burgurboy

Could be an overheating or failing GPU.

Have you vacuumed out/cleared out the dust, lint and dirt for. all of your iMac's vents, ports and slots?

You have to power down your iMac, disconnect everything and unplug your iMac.

Use either a small electronics vacuum or a standard vacuum with hose and crevice tool attachment and slowly and carefully vacuum out all of the various vents, slots and ports around your iMac.

Then, reconnect everything, startup your iMac. Download and install iStat Pro temperature monitor and report your iMac's new temperatures here.

Also, post if your graphics issues go away.

Apr 30, 2013 6:44 PM in response to MichelPM

Hmmm. well i'm wondering if it's a premature failure. For one, the fans/heatsinks were not very dusty. Secondly, After installing a fan control software, and cranking the fans to full tilt, I realized that the fans NEVER cranked up that high on their own.

Oddly enough, before I cleaned the comp out, it cranked up fine. I even watched a 45 second 180p movie trailer and the fans never broke a sweat. Temps never reached 60c anywhere. So, the computer was not overheating.

i've replaced the logic board on my macbook once so, if that's what it comes down to, I'll do that. I really can't afford shelling out the cash to take this out-of-warranty machine down to the apple store.

Any other tips for troubleshooting on my own? I was under the impression that the GPU is integrated with the motherboard. Will this force me to swap out the entire board?

And last of all, what are the chances this is a memory problem. Sometimes, the computer gets hung up and wont boot at all.

thanks again,

Cody

Apr 30, 2013 7:30 PM in response to burgurboy

Yeah,

Not sure about the 2008 models, but later iMacs had the GPU soldered to the Logic board.

I am not sure if the 2008 models used a separate video card with the GPU mounted to it or not.

If this was a RAM issue, it would either beep at startup or sometimes not start at all.

The graphics issues are definitely GPU related and this could, also, be what keeps your iMac from booting, too!

If the GPU is soldered to the logic board in these models, too, then you are looking at a complete logic board replacement.

As far as RAM goes, does this iMac use its original RAM or did you add/replace RAM?

If you added or replaced RAM, did you purchase from a reliable Mac RAM source such as Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com)?

Apr 30, 2013 8:05 PM in response to burgurboy

You can check if it's a RAM issue by removing one module at a time and restart your iMac and also check to make sure the RAM is also properly seated in its slot. Can also try swapping RAM slots to rule out a bad RAM slot, too!

If this turns out not be be a RAM issue, then you will have to take this in to Apple.

If you have a bad RAM module, then you can purchase new RAM from the online Mac RAM sources I have indicated.

Good Luck!

Is my iMac on it's way out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.