Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Fan Control?

Hello all, I seem to be having some heat problems in Windows on my Mac Pro 4,1.

I have Windows 8 installed, and it never ramps up the fans... Ever. I even ran Prime95 and the CPUs got to 90C before I manually quit the application!

I have tried 3 different fan control programs including iFan and Macfan. I dont remember the last one, but none of them work (mostly due to being made for Macbooks).

Is there ANYTHING I can use to make my CPU's run cooler in Windows? They idle at 51C and 47C!

This never happens on OSX, as they idle at 32C and have never gone above 60C.

Sorry, but I didnt really know where else to ask this! Please help!

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2x 2.26GHz, 6GB DDR3, Win8/Ubu12.10

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 7:25 PM

7 replies

Apr 28, 2013 7:53 PM in response to bubbamj

bubbamj wrote:

...Is there ANYTHING I can use to make my CPU's run cooler in Windows? They idle at 51C and 47C!...

I don't know of anything you can do to ramp up the Mac's fans when you're running Windows natively in BootCamp. I've virtualized Windows in VMware Fusion and run smcFanControl (http://www.eidac.de/?p=243) in the Mac OS that Fusion and Windows run inside of and that works to control the heat rise running Windows. Since you've already got a Windows installation, Fusion can take it over and run it as a virtual machine so you get to use the fan control too.

Apr 29, 2013 5:15 AM in response to bubbamj

This is the biggest draw back and weakness and all my hopes that SpeedFan could be made to, and that Apple would provide one. I was hoping Boot Camp 5.x might be better.

Have you checked the Boot Camp forums and talked to people there about fans and heat?

Back in 2007 InputRemapper for macbook series did work on Mac Pro also in Vista but it was never updated and I never used in with Windows 8. Not sure if I tried it on Windows 7 Pro but showed that it CAN be done.

It would set the fans to 1000 rpm or above, which seems to be more suitable for what macbooks need to do.

Your graphic cards you can change fan behavior in Windows.

Now that Windows 8 supports UEFI I would think that tools would emerge too.

For monitoring readings - not to modify - I use AIDA64 which is excellent at showing all the chips, drivers, under the hood as well as fans, temps, and other such readings.

Apr 29, 2013 7:08 AM in response to bubbamj

bubbamj wrote:

Thank you for the option, but that doesn't work for me sadly as I am a heavy gamer in Windows!

There's one other thing you might try. I've found that when I have smcFanControl set for a higher minimum speed on my Mac Pro than the default speeds, if I reboot into either safe mode or some other mode in which all non-Apple extensions are disabled, the higher minimum still holds, at least for that first reboot. I've never used BootCamp since virtualizing works so well for me so I can't say if that would carry over into BootCamp too, but you might try setting the minimum speeds noticeably higher using smcFanControl and then rebooting into Windows. If the fan speeds hold, you'll know it.

Apr 29, 2013 9:58 AM in response to bubbamj

bubbamj wrote:

Thanks, it does indeed hold over to Windows. I just need to make sure I set it to a decent speed so its not too low.

That's good news. I had a hunch it might. When I run a Mac OS X installer on an empty HD, the installer will reboot and run from the recipient disk. Before I start the installation, I set the fans to run at a higher speed, and even though it's a different function on a different disk, the fans are still running fast. 😉

Mac Pro Fan Control?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.