Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simple instructions to set up the Guest network on Time Capsule

I am trying to set up Guest access to the internet through the TIme Capsule. I am using a Billion modem/router, which is then connected to the WAN port of the Time Capsule. The current setup is Bridge mode, which from my reading seems to be wrong to achieve the Guest access. But I need some guidance.

The support article ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3477) is a bit hard for me to follow (I'm a novice in this area). Can anyone provide simple instructions as to how to do this:

In order to use a Guest network, your AirPort Extreme (3rd Generation or later), Time Capsule (2nd Generation or later), or AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation) Wi-Fi base station must be sharing a public IP address via DHCP for client computers. While configured in this way, your AirPort base station or Time Capsule acts as a router, taking the IP address provided by your ISP and distributing multiple, private IP addresses for clients of the AirPort network. This is the default behavior of the AirPort base station or Time Capsule and can be changed using AirPort Utility.

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 5:38 AM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2013 6:39 AM in response to mgish

Unfortunately, this is a perplexing issue, since Apple designed the Time Capsule to work with a simple modem.

Bridge Mode is the correct setting for the Time Capsule when it is configured to work with another router, or modem/router.....not a simple modem. In your case, the Billion modem/router is the "other" router.

Yet, the Guest Network feature cannot be set up correctly when the Time Capsule is configured in Bridge Mode.

In order to set up the Guest Network on the Time Capsule, the Time Capsule would have to be configured incorrectly to work with your Billion modem/router.

The simplest solution would be to ask your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to supply you with a simple modem.....not a modem/router. Then, the Time Capsule can be configured to to provide DHCP and NAT service...and...the Guest Network feature will be available.

Apr 30, 2013 1:10 PM in response to mgish

There is a couple of ways usually around the problem.

Either bridge the billion .. this is easy. choose pure bridge LLC is usually the right option, and run pppoe client on the TC. This puts the TC in correct router mode for guest network.

If you do this, you will lose connection to any extras in the modem though.. eg vpn or voip. To get use of those facilities you need the billion in router mode. But if it has wireless then it should be relatively simple.. just use the billion wireless for your guest access.. and use the TC still in bridge for your main wireless network.

All the better end billion are able to vlan the ethernet from wireless so you can stop guest having access to local network so it is just internet. Tell us exactly which model billion if you need more help.

May 1, 2013 4:41 PM in response to mgish

What do I need to do to set it up as you describe - billion as the guest, whilst the TC remains the main network.

This is not a high end billion.. it is very much low end.

You are much better in this case bridging the billion and just using the TC as main router.. you set the billion in pure bridge LLC and use PPPoE client in the billion.

Then you can run both main and guest network on the TC.

In this case I would not try to use the billion for guest wireless.. it is poor low end router.. and really needs bridging.

May 2, 2013 1:03 PM in response to mgish

I don't have an old billion to give you screen shots..

Did you download the manual? If not please do so.. plug a computer directly into the billion and bridge it.

you set the billion in pure bridge LLC and use PPPoE client in the billion

Sorry I meant the last bit to run pppoe client in the Time Capsule.

Bridge the Billion.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/610138

PPPoE on the TC

User uploaded file

Fill in Account name.. your usual ADSL username.

Password your usual ADSL password

Service Name leave blank.

Other settings you can leave.

In v6 utility it looks a little different.. but is easy enough to figure out on the Internet tab just pickout pppoe.

If you cannot figure out how to bridge the billion just buy another modem.. you can buy the cheapest TP-Link or equivalent where you are. In Australia the 8817 sells for $25 and is a snap to bridge.

Simple instructions to set up the Guest network on Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.