Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted Time Machine Volume won't Unlock

After encrypting a Time Machine backup, I can no longer access it.

It was an existing backup, not a new one, and it had other important files as well. It was encrypted with the checkbox in the TM preferences pane, not FileVault or any other means. When I plug in the drive (1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12) via USB, the window to unlock it pops up, but it always denies my attempts as if my passcode is incorrect. I'm 98% certain that my password is correct, and I've tried all other possibles passwords.

I'm unconcerned about losing the backups, but it's my other files on the drive that I can't afford to lose.

Running a Thorough Scan with Prosoft's Data Rescue reveals a lot of plists and keys that allude to the TM encryption, but opening them in TextEdit reveals a blank document, even after unlocking them with the admin pass.

I wonder if there's a way to find the key in the aforementioned files I recovered that could lead to a way to unlock the encryption?

I'm tempted to reformat the drive and just recover my important files once unlocked, but will the encryption render the recovery useless?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:15 AM

11 replies

Oct 1, 2017 3:02 PM in response to Topher Kessler

It didn't work for me but...

To your last point, my password was changed (hacked) and my 4 TB Seagate external stopped accepting back-ups one day as it jumped from 2 TB's of free storage to 0 overnight! That is when my written down PW stopped working as well. The 2 TB's that were on there were valuable video (my backups would only use a very tiny amount).

So this exercise is probably futile for me. But below is my output (I typed in MY password where it says "TYPED..."):

diskutil cs unlockVolume UUID -passphraseTYPEDMYPWDHERE

UUID is not a CoreStorage Logical Volume UUID

Apr 29, 2013 8:12 AM in response to wire nut

Without the password or the encryption key the drive's contents will be irrecoverable. You might try bypassing the graphic user interface to see if the drive can be mounted using the Terminal. To do this, open the Terminal and run the following command:

diskutil cs list

In the output, which should look like a hierarchical tree, note the UUID string of the "Logical Volume" (this string will be a number of letters and numbers, separated by dashes).

Highlight this number and copy it, and the run the following command, replacing UUID with the copied UUID from the last command, and replacing PASSWORD with your password:

diskutil cs unlockVolume UUID -passphrase PASSWORD

If you make a mistake and want to try another password, simply press the up-arrow and the previous entered command will be available for you to edit and re-execute.

If you have any troubles or need further guidance, copy the output of these commands to additional messages here so we can have a closer look at the drive setup. However, if ultimately the drive is corrupt or otherwise not accepting the passwords you know, then being encrypted its contents will essentially be lost.

Apr 15, 2014 5:48 AM in response to Topher Kessler

Topher's response helped me. I had successfully used migration assistant for my new rMBP but then couldn't find the time machine backup disk afterwards. I couldn't even access it on my old computer. After following his instructions, I realize that it was because I had interrupted the decryption process after setup. The decryption process resumed after using Topher's terminal instructions. Thank you so much!

Encrypted Time Machine Volume won't Unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.