Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Thunderbolt drives in between MBP display need to be powered on?

Reeeeally basic one -

If I am going to have a setup with a Thunderbolt drive in between by MacBook Pro and an Apple Display, in order to use the display does the external drive have to be powered on? Or can Thunderbolt information just "pass through" external drives without needing to the intermediate parts of the daisy chain (just the drive in this example) powered on? Basically wondering if I will be able to leave the external drive powered off, but still use the Thunderbolt display? Just curious since there will be lots of times when I would use the Display but not the drive (would swap the drive and display in the order, but my display only has just one TB (actually mini displayport) input.

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Capsule

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 11:59 AM

3 replies

May 1, 2013 2:51 PM in response to aquestionortwo

Not sure this applies to all Thunderbolt drives...but did find an answer for the LaCie 2big Thunderbolt, which does apparently let you pass through the connection with the power "off".

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10573

For more energy savings, the front power button even lets you turn off the product without breaking a daisy chain connection.

May 2, 2013 1:54 AM in response to aquestionortwo

I have two LaCie Thunderbolt 2big drives - one 4TB and on 8TB. They are, of course, at the beginning of the chain with my Thunderbolt Display at the end of the chain. When my computer sleeps, so do the LaCie drives - and I think that this may be only with these LaCie drives as my FW800 G-Drives don't sleep.

So if you just want to let them sleep when your computer sleeps, they'll do that. And if you want to power them off (for whatever reason) you can turn them off shile still using the Display.

Clinton

Do Thunderbolt drives in between MBP display need to be powered on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.