Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an old iphone 3gs i wish to master reset but i have forgotten the pass code. Cant factory reset with itunes as asks for code for phone. Any ideas?

I have recently gotten a new iphone 4 and that works fine. I have an old 3gs i wish to give to my friend but i would like to factory reset this. The problem is i cannot remember the pass code. All efforts guides and even videos to do so do not work, due to teh fact even when i use itunes and every trick/tip/method, im told "Unable to factory reset unless you enter the pass code on your iphone"

Any ideas of a work around?

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 12:13 PM

12 replies

Apr 29, 2013 12:21 PM in response to jesterwylde

Tried this method it doesnt work. Will get to the point as discribed but wont go any further wihout unlocking. I really wouldnt be posting and wasting peoples time if the methods worked. If i enterted the code (which i forgot and why im here) it would. If that makes sense? Even when i locked (after the 5 min 10 min 15 min and 60 min etc) it and it demands itunes i just get stuck in a loop

Apr 29, 2013 12:43 PM in response to KiltedTim

It isnt and i am, Ive done it so many times hense me being here, i really appriciate all the help but this isnt the full story the guide is correct, but once it goes through the loading bar which takes roughly 20 minutes it resets but then on itunes not my phone tells me the stated method as i mentioned without pass code you cant.

The phone was bought on a contract it was unlocked by apple when u moved abroad and it worked fine.

I have tried the methods and as stated if i really didnt have to and hadnt tried every method i could i wouldnt post.

The guides are right, the guides work. Accept with one hitch, Itunes demands it cant do it as i have a code on my phone and without first entering that it cannot proceed.

Jan 15, 2015 4:44 PM in response to jesterwylde

The links provided by jesterwylde and AnaMusic worked for me (iPhone 3G) even though my phone was locked & disabled (as I forgot the password and couldn't get in due to numerous unsuccessful attempts). I honestly didn't think it would work considering all the increased security associated with resetting phones and not having the passcode.

May 30, 2016 8:15 AM in response to AnaMusic

I want to point out that, for my iPhone 3G it took 4-5 restarts before it entered into recovery mode.

That is, I had to hold down the Power and Home buttons for maybe 1-2 minutes (max) while it restarted up to the Apple logo 4-5 times, then it restarted into recovery mode.

Unfortunately the Apple website just states to hold them down when it restarts and keep holding even when you see the Apple logo, and nothing about how long you might have to do this (I assume it differs for newer devices).

I have an old iphone 3gs i wish to master reset but i have forgotten the pass code. Cant factory reset with itunes as asks for code for phone. Any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.