Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 30gb of other in storage, and 15 gb in apps i have never used before, how do i delete them?

My macbook air has 60gb of storage. 32gb is used for other, and 15gb is used for apps, everything else is at a small amount. I would like to know how to delete this other becuase 32gb just for other is way to much. Also i do not have alot of apps, the app that has the most amount of storage is 1gb and everything else is 500mb or less, and theres only 10-20 of those. So I would also like to know how to delete apps i have never used.

How do i delete apps that i cannot find and are not visible to me?

(remember i dont have alot of apps, the apps i do have dont take up alot of space, but somehow i have 15gb of storage, i can visually see 5gb for apps)

How do i delete other?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 1:10 PM

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion's Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Uninstalling Software: The Basics

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash. Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space. If you want you can look for them in the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. In some cases the uninstaller may be part of the application's installer, and is invoked by clicking on a Customize button that will appear during the install process.

Some applications may install components in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. You can also check there to see if the application has created a folder. You can also delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder. Again, they don't do anything but take up disk space once the application is trashed.

Some applications may install a startupitem or a Log In item. Startupitems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and less often in the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder. Log In Items are set in the Accounts preferences. Open System Preferences, click on the Accounts icon, then click on the LogIn Items tab. Locate the item in the list for the application you want to remove and click on the "-" button to delete it from the list.

Some software use startup daemons or agents that are a new feature of the OS. Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

If an application installs any other files the best way to track them down is to do a Finder search using the application name or the developer name as the search term. Unfortunately Spotlight will not look in certain folders by default. You can modify Spotlight's behavior or use a third-party search utility, EasyFind, instead.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder. Usually with the same name as the program or the developer. The item generally has a ".pkg" extension. Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are many utilities that can uninstall applications. Here is a selection:

1. AppZapper 2.0.1

2. AppDelete 3.2.6

3. Automaton 1.50

4. Hazel

5. AppCleaner 2.1.0

6. CleanApp

7. iTrash 1.8.2

8. Amnesia

9. Uninstaller 1.15.1

10. Spring Cleaning 11.0.1

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2013 1:10 PM in response to StoCoBoLo

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion's Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Uninstalling Software: The Basics

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash. Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space. If you want you can look for them in the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. In some cases the uninstaller may be part of the application's installer, and is invoked by clicking on a Customize button that will appear during the install process.

Some applications may install components in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. You can also check there to see if the application has created a folder. You can also delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder. Again, they don't do anything but take up disk space once the application is trashed.

Some applications may install a startupitem or a Log In item. Startupitems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and less often in the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder. Log In Items are set in the Accounts preferences. Open System Preferences, click on the Accounts icon, then click on the LogIn Items tab. Locate the item in the list for the application you want to remove and click on the "-" button to delete it from the list.

Some software use startup daemons or agents that are a new feature of the OS. Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

If an application installs any other files the best way to track them down is to do a Finder search using the application name or the developer name as the search term. Unfortunately Spotlight will not look in certain folders by default. You can modify Spotlight's behavior or use a third-party search utility, EasyFind, instead.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder. Usually with the same name as the program or the developer. The item generally has a ".pkg" extension. Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are many utilities that can uninstall applications. Here is a selection:

1. AppZapper 2.0.1

2. AppDelete 3.2.6

3. Automaton 1.50

4. Hazel

5. AppCleaner 2.1.0

6. CleanApp

7. iTrash 1.8.2

8. Amnesia

9. Uninstaller 1.15.1

10. Spring Cleaning 11.0.1

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

I have 30gb of other in storage, and 15 gb in apps i have never used before, how do i delete them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.