Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Point of view on running Mountain Lion on a late 2011 Mac Book Pro?

I bought my MacBook Pro a couple of days before the current genneration came out in June of 2012. I was told that Mountain Lion would run well even on the older genneration and I was convinced by the 'genius' that it would be well worth it to buy the old one since I could get the old gen 15 inch for the price of the new gen 13 inch. I love mac, and my macbook but ive been hearing some stuff about how its Mountain Lion just doesnt run smoothly with the old gen hardware....im starting to agree with them. I havent got to use a new gen with mountain lion but i assume the freeze ups and the delays dont happen as much. Just looking for some thoughts from other people who have experienced this issue.....

biggest issue chat has just messed up texting with my iphone i had to delete it, notifying me randomly form days ago and other times not notifiying me at all

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 5:12 PM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2013 5:22 PM in response to mikescalise

I have a late model 2011 mac and I ran mountain lion on it for a few months. It ran ok but I ended up reinstalling lion on it about a week ago just because I found lion ran better. I don't think it has anything to with the "slightly" older hardware. I think mountain lion is just a resource pig. One thing was very noticeable and that was the shut down time. With lion my mac shuts down in a second or 2. with mountain lion it took 5-10+ seconds and that was with a clean install of mountain lion.

If you don't need any of the newer feature, whatever they are, then just stay with lion. I read a article this morning that apple is coming out with 10.9 in a couple of months. So I'll try that, in a separate partition this time, when it comes out and see how I like it.

Apr 29, 2013 5:26 PM in response to mikescalise

I run ML on a current 2012 MBP, a 2010 MBP and a 2008 pre-unibody MBP...it works fine on all three, except for very specific HW related issues (eg, the 2008 MBP lacks the HW necessary to support Airdrop). I don't have any issues with freeze-ups or delays.

Sounds like the sort of issues often found with corrupt preferences files or old third-party plugins/extensions/add-ons...perhaps some troubleshooting of those is in order.

Point of view on running Mountain Lion on a late 2011 Mac Book Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.