You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my mac is about 5 years old and running very slow, what can I do to get it back to it's fast self?

My mac is about 5 years old and is running slower and slower. What can I do to get it back to it's once fast and youthful self?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:51 PM

9 replies

Apr 29, 2013 7:37 PM in response to PEC62

What year, screen size, CPU speed and amount of RAM installed in your iMac?

How full is your Mac's hard drive?

How many applications do you run simultaneously in the background while working in another application?

Do you run any antivirus software on your Mac? Antivirus software can slow down the normal operation of OS X.

Do you run any "crapware" like Mackeeper or any other type of so called hard drive "cleaning" apps?

Apr 30, 2013 8:15 AM in response to MichelPM

Thank you for your reply.

Screen size: 20 inch

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4 GB

Disc size: 320 GB

Available Space: 72 GB

Antivirus: Norton

Crapware: None, I know better...

I generally have mail, itunes, Messages and Safari open in any or all combinations at any given time.

Thanks for any advise you can lend.

Apr 30, 2013 8:21 AM in response to PEC62

Get rid or Norton NOW!

Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) has a very long and illustrious reputation for mangling Mac OS X systems, sometimes to the point where a complete reinstall is necessary. Among other things, it installs kernel extensions which are known to cause kernel panics and system freezes; it contains known and documented bugs which can silently corrupt Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign files, destroy a user's ability to authenticate as an administrator, and (on PPC systems) can cause Classic to stop functioning; and Symantec has on at least two occasions now released flawed .dat file updates which erroneously report certain critical Mac OS X files as "viruses." (Deleting these "viruses" causes damage to the system that in some cases renders it unbootable.)

Norton Removal Tool (Symantec Uninstaller):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103489&locale =en_US

Apr 30, 2013 8:37 AM in response to PEC62

Yeah,

Gid rid of Norton Antivirus!

This is the worst of the Mac antivirus apps and is known to give a lot of false information about viruses and Trojan detection on the Mac. Plus, it is well know that it can have very detrimental effects and consequences on the OS.

Other things,

You are starting to get low and hard drive space.

Have you emptied your iMac's Trash icon in the Dock?

If you use iPhoto, iPhoto has its own trash that needs to be emptied, also.

If you use Apple Mail app, Apple Mail also has its own trash area that needs to be emptied, too!

Other things you can do to gain space.

Delete any old or no longer needed emails and/or archive older emails you want to save to disc, Flash drive/s or to ext. hard drive.

Look through your Documents folder and delete any type of old useless type files like "Read Me" type files.

Again, archive to disc, Flash drive or ext. hard drive and/or delete any old documents you no longer use or immediately need.

Uninstall apps that you no longer use. If the app has a dedicated uninstaller, use it to completely uninstall the app. If the app has no uninstaller, then just drag it to the OS X Trash icon and empty the Trash.

Also, if you save old downloaded .dmg application installer files, you can either archive and delete these or just delete the ones you think you'll never install, again.

Download an app called OnyX for your version of OS X.

When you install and launch it, let it do its thing initially, then go to the cleaning and maintenance tabs and run all of the processes in the tabs. Let OnyX clean out all web browser cache files, web browser histories, system cache files, delete old error log files.

Typically, iTunes and iPhoto libraries are the biggest users of HD space.

If you have any other large folders of personal data or projects, these should be thinned out, moved, also, to the external hard drive and then either archived to disc, Flash drive or ext. hard drive and/or deleted off your internal hard drive.

You may have to Purchase an external FireWire or Thunderbolt hard drive to move these files/data off of your internal drive to the external hard drive and deleted off of the internal hard drive.

Also, your iMac model can take up to 6 GBs of RAM.

You can increase your RAM by another 2 GBs.

Purchase and install one 4 GBs RAM module to replace one of the 2 GBs modules in your iMac, now.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can be purchased from online RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com).

Here is what you need.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/5300DDR2S4GB/

Good Luck!

my mac is about 5 years old and running very slow, what can I do to get it back to it's fast self?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.