4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 1:22 PM by Tony Reidsma
Tony Reidsma Level 1 Level 1

Everything was going peachy.... till I accumulated many events and projects.

I'm on a maxed out 6 month old macbook pro

Any advice on managing projects so that my workflow speeds up again would be great.

My rendering is taking for ever now....

Thanks

Tony

Reply by Ian R. Brown on Apr 30, 2013 6:44 AM Helpful

Sounds like you need Event Manager X  ...............  the best $4.99  I ever spent.

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/EventManagerX/

As I'm in the UK it was something like £3.50 !

You should also be storing your projects and events on an external hard drive and not the MBP's internal one.

All replies

• Ian R. Brown Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Sounds like you need Event Manager X  ...............  the best $4.99  I ever spent.

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/EventManagerX/

As I'm in the UK it was something like £3.50 !

You should also be storing your projects and events on an external hard drive and not the MBP's internal one.

• Tony Reidsma Level 1 Level 1

Thanks Ian,

I bought it and the start up and managing projects / events certainly has sped up, but the rendering issue is still there.

Here's what I ended up doing....

I bought that app you suggested and I am going to use it, it's great.... But what really helped is turning off Background Rendering. That was sucking all the life out of my computer.

I don't keep anything on my computer, but on a Lacie T-bolt dual hard drive....

Cheers,

Tony

• Ian R. Brown Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Yes, a lot of people swear by turning off the background render, though I've never really noticed any difference.

I don't know why it slows things down because theoretically it only start up 5 seconds after you stop editing and shuts down the moment you continue  ................  maybe it still continues rendering at a slower rate.

• Tony Reidsma Level 1 Level 1

In theory this is true, but in practice it's real anchor in processing.

The app is constantly triggering / de-triggering the render function, which taxes the processor.

I'm really close to going back to Adobe Premiere pro again. I just get the feeling that APPLE isn't focused. Before I updated to the latest version of FCPX rendering was faster, so all I can assume is in the update somewhere, things went foul.