Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently delete app

How do I permanently delete an app on ipad ... Not just hide it

iPad

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 10:51 PM

13 replies

Apr 29, 2013 10:54 PM in response to wescalman

Hi wescalman,

You permanently delete it by pressing on the icon until all of them start to wiggle, and then tapping on the little "x" in the upper left-hand corner. Also, make sure that you do not have the app set up in your computer to sync back, or it will.

You cannot do much more than "hide" purchased apps on the computer itself, but deleting by the "x" method does physically delete the app from your iPad, iPod, iPhone, etc.

Cheers,

GB

May 10, 2013 9:24 AM in response to wescalman

As GB stated, you can use the "wiggle" and "x" method to remove the app from your iPad.

If you used iTunes from your computer to download and install the app on your iPad, you can delete the app from the computer by right-clicking (control-clicking) on the App within iTunes on your computer and selecting "Delete". This will remove the app from iTunes as well as the .ipa file in the Mobile Applications folder within ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media so that when you re-sync the device with your computer the app won't reinstall on your iPad.

That being said, the app will forever be associated with your Apple ID so that if you ever want to re-download the app it'll be available when you log in to the iTunes Store with your Apple ID.

Hope this helps!

~Joe

Jun 30, 2013 10:22 PM in response to wescalman

Hi GB,

This practice works for me. I have never used/set-up iCloud. When I delete unwanted apps the available storage on my iPad increases. My iCloud lists storage at 5.0 GB and available storage 5.0 GB - has no effect since it has never been used. I did know it was an old post, but I personally search posts for information regardless of date and often find useful information. I love your cat!

Take care

Jun 26, 2015 2:48 PM in response to gail from maine

HI Gail,

i was referring to Travellet instructions to deleating on the settings. When I followed directions there are green buttons on the right side of apps you slide to delete. I asked if they were going to remain that way or would they disappear. I guessd they just stay there and I'm able to turn them back on anytime.

thanks for for your interest

ppattie.wagon@yahoo.com

Jun 26, 2015 3:15 PM in response to Pattie.wagon

Still not understanding. This is what I see when I delete an app via Settings>General>Usage>Storage:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Not seeing a green button. Usually that indicates an On or Off option. Are you sure you weren't looking under Settings>General Usage>and then Manage Storage under "iCloud"? There are on and off buttons there which tells iCloud which apps to back up. But that does not delete them in any way from your device.

Cheers,

GB

Permanently delete app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.