Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can Airplay the video but I can't move the sound over to the Apple Tv ??

Hey there,

When I use AirPlay Mirroring on my (3rd gen AppleTv), I can see the video on my TV but I Can't move the sound from my Retina Macbook's Internal Speakers to the Tv!!

I tried going to System Pref>Sound>Output>AppleTv, but every time I do that it just Discounects AirPlay all together.

My firend also has a Retina Macbook and a (2nd gen AppleTv). He also has the exact same problem?!

So, Why is this happining??? And How do i fix this problem without having to ShutDown and restart my macbook Everytime i needed the AppleTv ?????

Many Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2013 8:48 AM

Howdy, Hadi007!

Looks like someone else may have found a workaround!

No Audio when Airplay Mirroring from Mac to Apple TV

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4167956

The important bits:

This solved my question by jonvid on Aug 5, 2012 11:42 PM

User uploaded file

I had this same problem and I think I just found a solution. Turn on your Apple TV. BEFORE turning on the mirroring, change the output audio on your computer to Apple TV in System Preferences. After that, turn on the mirroring and the sound should be coming out of your tv.

Again, if you don't change the output before mirroring it will not work.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Allen

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2013 8:48 AM in response to Hadi007

Howdy, Hadi007!

Looks like someone else may have found a workaround!

No Audio when Airplay Mirroring from Mac to Apple TV

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4167956

The important bits:

This solved my question by jonvid on Aug 5, 2012 11:42 PM

User uploaded file

I had this same problem and I think I just found a solution. Turn on your Apple TV. BEFORE turning on the mirroring, change the output audio on your computer to Apple TV in System Preferences. After that, turn on the mirroring and the sound should be coming out of your tv.

Again, if you don't change the output before mirroring it will not work.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Allen

May 27, 2013 12:12 PM in response to Hadi007

I almost have the same problem. I cannot move the sound from my MacBook Pro to the TV while doing a FACETIME call. I tried the above workaround ("...BEFORE turning on the mirroring, change the output audio on your computer to Apple TV in System Preferences...") but it didn't solve the problem. Then I tried a SKYPE call, and the sound moved over to the TV automatically. So my problem is peculiar to FACETIME only. Any suggestions?

I can Airplay the video but I can't move the sound over to the Apple Tv ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.