Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ima screen shakes while scrolling after 10.8.3 update

My new imac is barely 3 weeks old. I just installed the latest update to the OS - 10.8.3. Ever since when i use the magic mouse for scrolling up or down, the screen shakes and jaggers. Its really annoying. Apple telephone support was of no use and just asked me to take my computer to a service center. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Pls help.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 4:51 AM

30 replies

Apr 30, 2013 10:50 AM in response to Manish Kothari

Hello Mannish,

Can you describe it a bit more? Is it shaking side to side or what?

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

Apr 30, 2013 11:02 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

It's basically the part of the screen that I scroll which shakes up and down in a vibrating motion, giving a kind of blur instead of the smooth scrolling motion that we are used to. It's also happening in apps like google earth. It feels as if the display driver is not able to handle the scrolling motion. The apple support guy did guide me through the repair procedure like you suggested but it did not help. He said it must be a hardware issue. But since it happened right after the last update I'm thinking it has to be software related. It's quite painful to lug such a big machine all the way to the service center.

May 1, 2013 1:44 AM in response to Manish Kothari

hi,

i have the exact same problem when your scrolling,

and also if you use the notification bar on the right side of the screen when it comes out the hole screen shakes a lot same thing when it goes back, and it leaves a little white bar on the top bar in the upper right corner of the screen next to the notification symbols and the magnifying glass.

it is really annoying.

does anybody know how to solve it ?

Aug 20, 2013 11:47 AM in response to Manish Kothari

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Aug 21, 2013 6:31 AM in response to mczapiew13

On my iMac it happens in Safari, Mail, when switching between 2 desktops. Any app when scrolling through screens with both pictures and text. Only text not so bad, only pictures also not so bad.

Have you tried with USB mouse? In my case that solves it, but that's no real sollution, because I want to use my Magic Trackpad with all the gestures!

I am planning to reinstall OS X. First clean install and testing with Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad and USB mouse (if necessary). If problem still there: I will return iMac to shop and they can fix it (hopefully). If problem gone after reinstall: Then reinstall and restoring backup from TimeMachine. If problem back after restore, then I need to search wich app is the problem.

But for reinstall I need to plan time, because I need my iMac often!

Ima screen shakes while scrolling after 10.8.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.