Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Hard Drive: Logic Panics

Hi all,

I run Logic 9.1.8 on a late 2009 iMac which was recently eligible for the Seagate Mac Hard Drive Replacement Program. Although my old hard drive was fine, I got it replaced because I thought, hey a brand new hard drive for free.

Since getting the replacement, I'm finding Logic to me very sluggish at times. I'm getting a lot of "system overload" messages where I didn't before. But today I got this message, which I've never seen before:

Disk is too slow. (Prepare)

(-10001)

The Sudden Motion Sensor may have parked the hard drive head, or the disk performance is not sufficient to read or write all audio tracks, or the system was not able to process all data in time.

Anyone able to decipher this for me? The "learn more" link took me to this page which suggests I'm using a Macbook but I'm not.

Thanks,

Ben

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 7:25 AM

Hi

The message sya that it could be 1 or more of 3 distinct things:

Benh4646 wrote:

The Sudden Motion Sensor may have parked the hard drive head,

or

Benh4646 wrote:

the disk performance is not sufficient to read or write all audio tracks,

or

Benh4646 wrote:

the system was not able to process all data in time.

You should be correct about the Sudden Motion Sensor, but there could be issues with the new HD:

How was you old HD 'copied' to the new one? (a full clone, or a "Time Machine Restore"? There could be issues with the latter.

There could also be issues temporarily whilst Spotlight indexes the new HD (checjk the Spotlght Icon in the Menu bar to see if it is indexing, or use Activity Monitor.

The new drive might be slower than the old one (what specification is it?)

The final cause is CPU related. Are these the same projects as before the HD swap, or new ones? What is your Logic I/O buffer set to?

CCT

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2013 7:25 AM in response to Benh4646

Hi

The message sya that it could be 1 or more of 3 distinct things:

Benh4646 wrote:

The Sudden Motion Sensor may have parked the hard drive head,

or

Benh4646 wrote:

the disk performance is not sufficient to read or write all audio tracks,

or

Benh4646 wrote:

the system was not able to process all data in time.

You should be correct about the Sudden Motion Sensor, but there could be issues with the new HD:

How was you old HD 'copied' to the new one? (a full clone, or a "Time Machine Restore"? There could be issues with the latter.

There could also be issues temporarily whilst Spotlight indexes the new HD (checjk the Spotlght Icon in the Menu bar to see if it is indexing, or use Activity Monitor.

The new drive might be slower than the old one (what specification is it?)

The final cause is CPU related. Are these the same projects as before the HD swap, or new ones? What is your Logic I/O buffer set to?

CCT

Apr 30, 2013 4:17 PM in response to Pancenter

Here is one of the threads where certain types of Seagate drives that have this issue, are discussed....

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4943213?answerId=21725604022#21725604022

However, I do not believe that Apple are using such types of hard drives that power down like this but I could be wrong.

Look in the "About This Mac" info to identify the model of Hard Drive installed and then let me know please.. and I'll check it out for you.

More likely, is as CCT commented upon.. that a restore was done from a TM backup and typically doing so, can cause such issues.

It is much better and 'cleaner' to do a full fresh OS X and Logic install (followed by fresh installs of any other 3rd party apps/plugins etc) and then copy any personal data across manually from any backups made of the original HD

May 13, 2013 12:47 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay.

Yes, I backed up from my Time Machine when I got the new hard drive. Just to confirm, you think I should reinstall from scratch?

Would that basically mean reinstalling Lion, reinstalling Logic etc and then copying over files from Time Machine?

About This Mac info, as requested:

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Ben

New Hard Drive: Logic Panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.