Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spilled water on left side of Mac...by Harddrive??

Hello- I have Macbook and today accidentaly spilled some water on the left side /bottom of my mac. I immedialtely turned it off and put it on its side. Not able to take out the battery...don't have the right tools. Should I waited out to to dry? bring it to get serviced? I have very important documents that I was not able to backup the last couple of weeks. If Mac won't turn on, would the apple repair group be able to access the data in my harddrive? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you-

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 6:59 AM

If that data is important to you, your best strategy is to remove the hard drive immediately from the computer and put it in an enclosure and attach it to another computer. See if you can extract the data. If not, you may want to engage the services of a data recovery outfit such as DriveSavers. They are often able to get data back off of even very badly damaged drives, but they are NOT cheap.

If the data is not that big a deal, put your MacBook in a container of uncooked rice for a week or so and let it absorb the water. This might get it to work again.

Best of luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2013 6:59 AM in response to newbie729

If that data is important to you, your best strategy is to remove the hard drive immediately from the computer and put it in an enclosure and attach it to another computer. See if you can extract the data. If not, you may want to engage the services of a data recovery outfit such as DriveSavers. They are often able to get data back off of even very badly damaged drives, but they are NOT cheap.

If the data is not that big a deal, put your MacBook in a container of uncooked rice for a week or so and let it absorb the water. This might get it to work again.

Best of luck.

spilled water on left side of Mac...by Harddrive??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.