Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading retouched photos onto Facebook from iPhoto

Before I upload photos from iPhoto onto Facebook, I usually retouch them. But for the last two times I've tried to do this (March and April, 2013), the photos that are uploaded onto Facebook remain untouched. On iPhoto, the photos I uploaded are still retouched, but on Facebook, they come out untouched. Why is this, and how can I upload the retouched photos onto Facebook? I even tried just saving all the retouched photos to my desktop then uploading them manually onto Facebook, but even then, they remained untouched on my Facebook album. Also, I checked, and I do have the newest version of iPhoto. This is really annoying! Can someone please help me? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 7:17 AM

15 replies

Apr 30, 2013 7:34 AM in response to aw16

Obviously the results totally depend on the method - which you do not give - you only give the results

and this result is impossible

I even tried just saving all the retouched photos to my desktop then uploading them manually onto Facebook, but even then, they remained untouched on my Facebook album.

What version of iPhoto do you have - the newest is 9.4.3

Exactly how are you uploading to FB? And exactly how are you saving to the desktop? Have you used preview to verify that the photos on the desktop are retouched? (it is simply not possible to upload a different version of a photo manually - the photos you select must be the photo that is uploaded)

LN

Apr 30, 2013 7:41 AM in response to LarryHN

I uploaded the photos, retouched them, saved them to an album, then used the Share - Facebook button to upload them into an album on Facebook. Also, apparently I have iPhoto 9.4.2, but there is no software update for me to update it to the latest version yet.

By saving to the desktop, I mean I dragged the photos from iPhoto onto my desktop. Viewing them on Preview does show that they are retouched. And by uploading it manually, I just meant I created an album on Facebook and then added the photos from the desktop, rather than using the iPhoto Facebook share button.

Doing this both ways still results in the photos being retouched on iPhoto / my desktop, but not on Facebook.

Apr 30, 2013 7:47 AM in response to aw16

By saving to the desktop, I mean I dragged the photos from iPhoto onto my desktop. Viewing them on Preview does show that they are retouched. And by uploading it manually, I just meant I created an album on Facebook and then added the photos from the desktop, rather than using the iPhoto Facebook share button.

Doing this both ways still results in the photos being retouched on iPhoto / my desktop, but not on Facebook.

Again this is impossible - if you select a retouched photo on the desktop using a web browser to upload to FB then there is no possible way that a non-retouched version of that photo is being uploaded - either you are wrong and the photos on FB is retouched or you are not doing what you say you are

What you report is physically impossible so you are reporting something incorrectly

I do recommend that rather than dragging the photos to the desktop you export them (file menu ==> export) wich gives you better control and gennerally is more trouble free - however this has nothing to do with yoru report - if you have a retouched photo on the desktop and you upload that to FB using a browser then the photo on FB is trtouched - maybe becaus eFB reduces quality so much you are missing the retouching - do one that is ratically changed and you will see that it does work

LN

Mar 27, 2014 6:54 AM in response to aw16

LarryHN, I'm afraid you are not correct in saying this is impossible as I have been dealing with this same issue for 6 hours now. I have been trying to upload three photos that I retouched in iPhoto as a photo post on Facebook. When they upload they appear as the retouched version, but when I then go to the newsfeed they show up there as the un-retouched version, and then from there on they appear un-retouched everywhere on Facebook that I see them, both on my laptop and on mu iPhone. I have uploaded them more than 5 times now... as jpegs, as tiffs, as PDF's... I have "exported" them from iPhoto as you suggest, ontpo my desktop, and then uploaded them through my Facebook timeline from there. Same thing keeps happenign no matter how I do it. They first upload as retouched, andf then when I check from another device, or look at newsfeed, they are the unretouched versions. HELP!!!

Mar 27, 2014 7:24 AM in response to Essej Semaj

It simply is not possible

if you actually esport a photo, verify tha tyou exported the correct photo and upload it and see it on the site it is impossible for it to change to a different photo - if you see a different photo then you have a different photos uploaded -

again I hae no idea wha tyou are doing but what you state is impossible so either you are doing something different than you say or you have multiple versions uploaded to FB

there is no possible way that an exported photo can change to a different photo so there is somethin you are not telling us

LN

Mar 27, 2014 7:38 AM in response to Essej Semaj

What ever

THere is no possible way tha tyou can upload photoa A, see photo A after upload and have it change to photo B - so there is something you are missing or are not telling us - what you are saying is impossible

Until you accept reality and look for the incorrect procedure you are using or for the multiple photos on FB you will continue to be frustrated

LN

Mar 27, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Essej Semaj

Correct - the only helpful advice it to re-examine your work flow - what you state is not possible - once a photo is exported there is not connection from the exported version to any previous version so it is not possible for it to "revert"

I understand tha t ou do not believe this but it is a fact - an exported photos is and only is exactly what is exported - it can not 'revert' to anything because trhere is nothign there to "revert" to - all that is ther is the set of bits that make up the photos on the desktop - nothing more

Using the iPhoto FB uploader has the possiblility to upload the incorrect version but uploading an exported copy as you state can not upload anything except the exported version and it can not change

The most likely situation is that you have multiple photos on FB or they somehow have an older version cached or your browser has an older version cached -

it is 100% sure that the uploaded photo is not "reverting"

And once you export the photos it no longer involves iPhoto in any way - from there you need Mac or Facebook support

LN

Mar 27, 2014 7:58 AM in response to aw16

I'm in iPhoto, looking at the photo, retouched, just as I like it. I go to file, choose export, and send it to the desktop — naming it appropriately. I see it on the desktop, open it, check it — perfect. I have nothing else on my desktop that isn't filed away... clean surface. Just the exported, verified files. I then go to Facebook to upload new images, choosing those carefully named files from my desktop. They load. I open them. They look good. They look GREAT! Then, I go to view them in newsfeed (it says "one minute ago", so it's the new ones) and there they are in their untouched, original state.

That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth Larry :)

Uploading retouched photos onto Facebook from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.