Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm somewhat proficient with computers, but not a real techie. How to partition my OS 10.5.8 hard drive before upgrading to OS 10.6.3?

Hi

I bought the upgrade for 10.6.3 from Apple a while back. Now getting ready to install the new OS. Backed up everything onto Lacie Rugged mini yesterday.

In trying to prepare to do this properly, I saw in one discussion, that it would be a good idea to partition my disc, so that I can still access it if something goes wrong or if my apps won't work with the upgrade. I plan on taking it to the next level after this install, which for my computer is 10.7 Lion.

Can someone help me with a step by step approach. I know I have to access through disk utility, but don't want to mess anything up. Thanks for the help.

Here's the info about my computer

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.31f1

Serial Number (system): W88157FW0P1

Hardware UUID: E65A8BB4-183A-5D77-80DE-AA59D2A010AF

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

Disk Description : FUJITSU MHY2160BH Media

Total Capacity : 149.1 GB (160,041,885,696 Bytes)

Connection Bus : Serial ATA 2 Write Status : Read/Write

Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified

Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

MAC HD

Mount Point : /

Capacity : 148.7 GB (159,697,911,808 Bytes)

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available : 68.5 GB (73,518,301,184 Bytes)

Owners Enabled : Yes Used : 80.3 GB (86,179,610,624 Bytes)

Number of Folders : 194,485 Number of Files : 875,734

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 9:04 AM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2013 4:52 PM in response to dalstott

Thanks for the input. However, I'm a bit nervous about erasing everything. I thought that by partitioning I would be able to create a partition for 10.5.8 and a separate one for the 10.6. I guess I don't really understand partitioning. My goal was to be able to go back and forth between the two if I need to because of my apps.

In the first link you indicated, my computer is not listed so I'm not sure what that will mean for me. I'm running a macbook from mid 2008.

If partitioning will actually allow me to have two versions of my OS somewhere, that's what I'm after.

If so, then I still need help as far as a step by step approach.

Thanks for your help -- sorry I'm probably not as clear as I could be, but this is taking me beyond my current knowledge. I'm nervous about installing the new software, until I figure this out.

Apr 30, 2013 6:28 PM in response to dorothysol

I do not know what kind of a backup you have on the LaCie drive so it may or not apply to the following advice.

The best way to accomplish what you wish to do in my opinion would be to have an cloned external usb hard drive.

First you would clone the internal drive ( with Guid partition table to make it bootable) to the external usb drive. It would be identical to the internal drive and can be used to startup and run the programs.

You can then choose to upgrade either drive from 10.5.8 to 10.6.x with the 10.6 installation dvd. It would make more sense to upgrade the internal drive. Now you would have two ways to boot either from 10.5 or 10.6. Then if you want 10.7 you could decide to clone 10.6 to the external usb drive ending up with 10.7 and 10.6 on the two drives

Some links for info. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for most of my backups, but Super Duper is Ok too.

http://lifehacker.com/5839185/the-best-disk-cloning-app-for-mac-os-x

http://www.cultofmac.com/48861/how-and-why-to-clone-your-mac-hard-drive-macrx/

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

http://www.bombich.com/

May 3, 2013 8:58 AM in response to dalstott

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it's probably best that I do a clone backup. I just downloaded the older version of Carbon Copy Cloner, since I'm on Leopard still. I will read the other articles you mentioned and

hopefully that will answer any questions.

However, you said "First you would clone the internal drive ( with Guid partition table to make it bootable) to the external usb drive."

Is there anything special I need to do to set this up before running Carbon Copy Cloner.i.e.

how do I access the Guid partition table? The only thing I see that references Guid is when I'm in Disk Utility and have selected the FUJITSU MHY2160BH Media disk-- the only options I see are First aid, Erase, Partition,RAID,Restore. Not sure what I need to do to get started.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

May 3, 2013 10:54 AM in response to dorothysol

(See picture 1)

Open Disk Utility and select your External drive in the left side of the window. Then select the number of partitions you want (most likely 1 unless you have a large drive and don't want to dedicate it all to the clone). You have to have enough external drive space to accomodate all the stuff on the internal drive. Choose the format of Mac OS Extended Journaled and give it a name other than untitled 1 if desired.User uploaded file

(See picture 2)

Now click the options button and select GUID partition table (read the other selections to see what they are all about). Press ok button and return to the first window then press Apply and a progress bar will appear. You will now be ready to use CCC to make a bootable drive identical to the original.User uploaded file

I'm somewhat proficient with computers, but not a real techie. How to partition my OS 10.5.8 hard drive before upgrading to OS 10.6.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.