Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outlook - Better Gmail Client Than Native Mail on Mountain Lion

I was having a lot of problems with Gmail through the native mail client under Mountain Lion (flaky incoming message arrival, bugginess, delayed notifications, overall poor usability & customization), so I switched to Outlook 2010 last week. I am truly amazed at what a better experience it has been. Messages actually arrive on the desktop in real time! Notifications are displayed immediatey upon message receipt! If you've been frustrated with the native mail client and you're a Gmail user, seriously give Outlook a shot. I'm not sure how resource intensive it is, but on my 2011 MacBook Pro with a Core i7, SSD & 16GB of memory, Outlook is just as quick as any other app, including native mail. It's pretty sad that Microsoft has made a better desktop mail client than Apple on Apple's own platform. Cheers.

🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 2.3 Core i7, 16GB DDR3, Early 2011

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 9:14 AM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2013 9:39 AM in response to danmcq

danmcq wrote:

I was having a lot of problems with Gmail through the native mail client under Mountain Lion (flaky incoming message arrival, bugginess, delayed notifications, overall poor usability & customization), so I switched to Outlook 2010

🙂

I assume that's a typo and you really meant to say Outlook 2011 (2010 is a Windows program)

Apr 30, 2013 10:17 AM in response to Paldeng

Paldeng wrote:

When OLM file gets damaged or corrupt.

That applies to any corrupt data store, not just Outlook.

Paldeng wrote:

Sometimes rebuilding doesnt work.

Gmail is an Imap system, rebuilding is not required, all that is needed is to remove the account (from Outlook) and then put it back. Please research your suggestions before posting them.

Outlook - Better Gmail Client Than Native Mail on Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.