Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions Repaired?

I have a strange situation when trying to send pics from iPhoto through Mac Mail. Sometimes a new email message is generated perfectly with my imbedded pic and sometimes it opens a blank email where a photo should be but is not. When I run Repair Disc Permissions I usually get the following:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

User differs on “.DS_Store”; should be 0; user is 502.

Permissions differ on “.DS_Store”; should be -rw-rw-r-- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .

Repaired “.DS_Store”

Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.

Repaired “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”

Permissions repair complete

After this repair, my pictures are imbedded in the email they way I expected them to be. Does anyone know why this particular problem returns and how I am able to 'cure' the problem?

Thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 24 inch, Early 2009

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 11:01 AM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2013 3:04 PM in response to Barney-15E

I am not aware of any 3rd party software that I may have -- I stick with Apple products for compatability etc.

My problem is intermittent so booting in safe mode isn't going to show us much I'm afraid...the problem just randomly appears and is really quite unpredictable. The only time I see it pop up is when I go to send an email of a photo I want to share. Strange, huh?

I sent you the entire Permissions Repair info as received when I ran the utility. I have no clue what it means.

Apr 30, 2013 3:13 PM in response to NN2RL

Intermittent things like that are tough to track down.

Just to see if it is a red herring, the next time you successfully attach a picture, run repair permissions and see if it shows up. If it is there when you had succes, it likely isn't the cause and we're just chasing our tail.

If that file is showing up inside the iPhoto Library, it could be the problem.

There is a glitch where you can't see the default user pictures in the dialog when you change yours. Deleting the .DS_Store file in the /Library/User Pictures folder fixes it.

Do you ever go browsing around in the iPhoto Library folder structure?

Permissions Repaired?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.