Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I scan 35mm slides into iPhoto and edit them?

The scanner holds 4 slides and iphoto shows the whole screen and not the individual slides. Also it shows the actual size and not picture size.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 11:19 AM

1 reply

Apr 30, 2013 11:44 AM in response to mammamaya

What scanner are you using? Does it have the capability of scanning 4 slides at a time and saving each as a separate image file? If so save them to the Desktop and import from there into iPhoto.

If your scanner does not separate each slide you'll have to scan the image at a high enough resolution so you can crop out each individual slide from the overall image and have a decent pixel size. You'd duplicate the one file 3 times so you can crop each slide out of the same image.

However, if you scan the full platen at that size it would take a while to complete and create a very large image file. If your scanner can't automatically separate each side into its own file I'd scan each slide individually by restricting the scan area to just one slide.

Slides are 1.42" x .95". Decide what the largest print you will print from them and scan accordingly. That is if 8 x 10 is the largest you'd ever print you want to have the scanned image to be at 300 dpi or 3000 x 2400 pixels. For a 1.42" x .95" image that would require a scan resolution of 2500. I generally use 3000 dpi. If 4x6 or 5x7 is the largest you expect to print then you can reduce the scan resolution accordingly to make it quicker and have smaller file sizes.

My scanner is a Canon Canoscan 8600F and has that capability. Check the manual or the menus of the scan window to see if yours has that capability.

Do not scan B/W slides or photos as Grayscale. Always use color.

If you have a 3rd party image editor you can use it to crop out each slide and do a save as with a new file name and not have to duplicate that very large image file with all 4 slides on it.

I hope I haven't added confusion to your problem.

OT

How do I scan 35mm slides into iPhoto and edit them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.