Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod classic needs repairing after disconnecting without ejecting

Hello readers,

I have had my 180gb ipod classic for about 4 years now and never had any problems.

2 days ago I plugged in my ipod to the computer (windows vista) and manually added some songs. I then ejected the ipod on itunes and it seemed to work fine, though on my computer the ipod was still appearing as un-ejected and when I tried to eject it there as well it notified me that it was not possilbe to do it safely.
As I had no option I continued to unplug/disconnect it. But then I found that all my music and videos had been removed, leaving only my photos.

I plugged the ipod back into the computer intending to put the missing music and videos back into the ipod but windows came up with a message saying there was a problem with my device and gave me 2 options:

1. analysis and repair
2. continue without analysising
I clicked on 'continue without analysing' and opened itunes

itunes frooze showing the windows blue circle loading sign for an hour so forced me to close itunes.

the windows message then appeared again so this time I selected 'analysis and repair'
it then opened a window with 2 options being able to select both:
- Automatiqually repair the file errors

- Find and attempt a recovery of the defective sectors

I selected both and pressed fix....It was loading very slowly and after nearly 24 hours it had only moved about a 5th.
So I cancelled... since then i try and plug it back in, gives me same options and freezes itunes

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IPOD MEANS TO MUCH

THANKYOU IN ADVANCE

iPod classic, Windows Vista

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 12:54 PM

As I had no option I continued to unplug/disconnect it.

The other option was to shut down the computer, then disconnect the iPod.

You should probably do a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. The Restore button is on the iPod's Summary screen in iTunes. This will erase the iPod, re-install its software, and set it to default settings. The "erase" part should fix any data corruption that is currently on the iPod, and give it a fresh start.

If iTunes does not allow you to perform a Restore with the iPod in its current state, put it in Disk Mode first

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1363

Run iTunes and connect the iPod. iTunes may prompt you about "recovery." Attempt to do a Restore.

NOTE: If you use automatic syncing instead of the Manually manage music and videos setting, you can disconnect the iPod (when it's not syncing) without ejecting it first. iTunes automatically mounts the iPod's "disk" only when syncing and immediately dismounts the iPod disk at other times

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2013 12:54 PM in response to ninal94

As I had no option I continued to unplug/disconnect it.

The other option was to shut down the computer, then disconnect the iPod.

You should probably do a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. The Restore button is on the iPod's Summary screen in iTunes. This will erase the iPod, re-install its software, and set it to default settings. The "erase" part should fix any data corruption that is currently on the iPod, and give it a fresh start.

If iTunes does not allow you to perform a Restore with the iPod in its current state, put it in Disk Mode first

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1363

Run iTunes and connect the iPod. iTunes may prompt you about "recovery." Attempt to do a Restore.

NOTE: If you use automatic syncing instead of the Manually manage music and videos setting, you can disconnect the iPod (when it's not syncing) without ejecting it first. iTunes automatically mounts the iPod's "disk" only when syncing and immediately dismounts the iPod disk at other times

Apr 30, 2013 4:22 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I have now done as you have said and plugged my ipod in during disk mode but still is not appearing in itunes.
itunes is no longer freezing just continuing as if nothing is plugged in.

though the windows message is still appearing asking me to analysis and repair again.

also how do I now disconnect the ipod as it is showing a warning sign with do not disconnect...

thanks

Apr 30, 2013 4:52 PM in response to ninal94

It's possible that there is a hardware problem related to the iPod. If so, the issue you had with ejecting and disconnecting (and other problems you describe) may be a symptom of the hardware problem, not the cause of the problem.

It's also possible that the USB docking cable has become faulty. If you have another cable (that is known-good), or if you can test the cable you have with another Apple device, you can confirm or rule out a bad cable as the cause.

The USB port maybe not be functioning properly. To rule this out, you can connect something else to the USB port, preferably something similar to an iPod, such as a USB flash drive. Be sure to try different ports and connect the iPod to a direct USB port.

It could be a software problem on the computer, but since it was working fine until this problem occurred, it is probably OK.

If you can rule out bad cable and bad USB port (and assume the computer's software is good), then the cause is likely to be the iPod. It may have a faulty hard drive, or something else like a worn out dock connector.

May 1, 2013 5:09 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

It seems to be a problem with the hard drive on the ipod...
I have plugged it into another computer and did the windows automatique repair of disk and then tried to see if itunes would recognise it but it continues to be loading showing blue circle ... what does that mean?

and if its a ipod hard drive option what should I do? can a apple store help me?

ipod classic needs repairing after disconnecting without ejecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.