Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi dropping (27-inch, Late 2012)

Hi,

I purchased a late-2012 iMac a few months ago (brand new, from a physical Apple store), and since I've had it, it's had this problem of randomly dropping my wifi connection.

I've googled this issue and it seems to be a common thing. I've tried a couple different solutions (e.g. creating a new Location in Network preferences; setting the Service Order so that Wi-Fi is on top; changing the Wi-Fi Hardware MTU from 1400 to 1500), but none seem to fix the problem permanently.

Last night, I was trying to upload a 10mb file over FTP and my wifi connection was dropped every minute (no exaggeration), so I quit and tried again this morning. Sometimes it happens frequently, like last night, other times it'll happen maybe once in the day.

Has anyone else encountered this wifi dropping issue with their iMac, and if so, what have you tried to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Derek

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 27-inch, Late 2012; 3.4GHz

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 11:00 PM

Hi Derek,

What brand/Model Router or Modem is it?

Any other Wifi devices around?

Have you tried changing the channel on the Router?

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

10 replies

May 2, 2013 1:40 PM in response to BDAqua

Connection still drops out, but not as frequently (maybe once an hour). I've checked Console, but I have no idea what any of these messages mean. I've attached a screenshot of Console (the connection dropped at 1:26pm; "SanIsidro" is the name of our wifi).User uploaded file

Any ideas what any of these things mean? Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek

May 4, 2013 7:58 AM in response to derekpante

I have been having this problem with just one of our iMacs in our house. I went through Apple support and navigated through all the twists and turns they suggestedto try to get the problem solved. NOTHING WORKED. THEY DON"T KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM. BUT I DO! Unfortunately it involves buying a $30 wireless ethernet adapter (I got an IOGEAR, and I have no connection to their company. Probably any wireless ethernet adapter will work). I turned off the internal airport wireless device and through the network settings in the system preferences connected to my CISCO LYNKSYS ROUTER (which has been bashed left and right in the forums here). THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!!! NO RESTARTING!!! NO DROPPED CONNECTIONS!!!!

So the problem isn't with the router, its with the airport wireless adapter in the iMac. It ***** to have to spend more money after you lay out so much for an apple product, but it sure beats restarting the computer over and over every day.

Hope this helps my friends out there. I can now allow my hair to repopulate my head since I've been pulling it out over this issue for months.

Wifi dropping (27-inch, Late 2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.