Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do you use to create distributable packages with ARD?

What do you use to create distribution packages for ARD?

I.E. a package for installing the new Oracle Java 7.21 on all our machines.

Or, a package for installing Micosoft Office 14.3.2 udapters?

Specifically for 10.7 and 10.8 users.

Install Ease?

Jamf Composer?

Packages?

xCode PackageMaker?

Which one should I put my time into using?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), IT Manager for an Ad Agency

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 3:01 PM

both the ones you mention already come as packages.

download the .dmg

open the dmg, drag the package somewhere you like - desktop, a folder you make, wherever. (the office package doesn't use the typical package icon, but it is a package).

Then just use the "install package" feature of ARD.

Or are you trying to do something much more complicated and fancy?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2013 3:01 PM in response to Robman

both the ones you mention already come as packages.

download the .dmg

open the dmg, drag the package somewhere you like - desktop, a folder you make, wherever. (the office package doesn't use the typical package icon, but it is a package).

Then just use the "install package" feature of ARD.

Or are you trying to do something much more complicated and fancy?

Apr 30, 2013 6:04 PM in response to Robman

I don't know about CS but flash player you have to

1. get the actual app, not the installer, more on that in a sec

2. open it up to get an "install flash player" app.

3. right click (or ctrl click) that to get "show package contents"

4. Then in contents/resources is an actual package you can use for install.

5. Some of the adobe things, sometimes, it seems i remember, work only if a user is logged in.

To get the actual adobe reader or flash player, you can go to download one and on one of the pages (where you click "download now") there is a little "'IT/OEM admins - distribute flash player" link. Click that and the process is pretty minimal and quick and they send you a link to the actual full downloads.

But I can't help you with the question you really are trying to ask which is what is best if you need to make a package to distribute.

May 1, 2013 9:51 AM in response to nicolas michel

Nicolas, Have you been able to get the Adobe Update to work? I get stopped at the first step, putting in the command-line to install the AUS2.0. I think we have a support Contract, i should probably just ask Adobe for assistance.

Does noboby create their own distributable packages? Maybe i'm looking at this wrong.

I see that even Microsoft puts their updates into a .pkg file that is pushable through ARD. Maybe most everyone else does?

I was able to get an Adobe Flash Player Distributable installer, from Adobe, you have to fill out a form asking for permission for the distributable installer, and they send you a link to the files.. ugh. but fine. I have the .pkg installer for Flash, and that works pushing out over ARD.

http://www.adobe.com/products/players/flash-player-distribution.html

I guess my life would be great, if i can just get a Updater source for CS5.5 and CS6.

I did create the Adobe Package distribution for actually installing the CS6 over ARD. That works.

I have a licensing glitch on deploying new machine off a build that has CS6 on it. I'm able to get around the licensing glitch by using the Adobe Serialization tool, that's fine.

I guess i'm just looking for a CS6 Updates tool. I'm fine creating a CS6 updater package using InstallEase or something. I'm wondering what the best one is.

IF most everything already comes as a .pkg file nowadays, and it's just Adobe that's difficult. I guess there's not really a need to create .pkg files for anyone? So nobody really uses them?

May 2, 2013 9:01 AM in response to Robman

When you use Adobe Application Manager to create your CS6 packages, theres an option to also create an updates package which will download the adobe updates and put them in a nice package you can send via ARD and will install those. Its been working great here for the last few months.

Adobe Flash player, actually they advertise a few ways to deploy it. one via their little form and two a KB of downloading the flash player, double click the install flash, when the next flash window shows up that says downloading, etc right click that icon, show package contents, resources, will have the Flash pkg.

Packagemaker is okay, but lately I have not had to create many packages, just copy or send down via ADR pre-done from the vendor.

Deploystudio may offer something in line of those abilities as well.

May 2, 2013 2:10 PM in response to Space Ranger

That works great, but after the package is installed for 6 months, there will be updates needed..

I just went ahead andtried setting up a AUSST. Aobe's version of a local update server. And I got to the part where it seems set up, it's downloaded all the updates; I think it's running, i guess i'll just test the clients and send them a updated .xml file to point to it or whatever..

So, i guess i have gotten off my original topic, and I think the answer is. "They are almost always already in a .pkg format that is pushable by ARD, so nobody really creates their own often."

I thank you all for you assistance, and comments in helping me with this.

Thanks!

What do you use to create distributable packages with ARD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.