Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best external monitor for text editing

Hi all - I have a 2011 MBP and want to connect it to an external monitor (+ mouse and keyboard) for text editing and web browsing. Text clarity is very important to me. First I've tried to connect a mainstream Acer monitor, and then Lenovo ThinkVision eIPS LT2452pwc at work, and in both cases Mac fonts looked somewhat "fuzzy" where Windows and Linux fonts looked nice and sharp. In all cases I've used native screen resolution. There is nothing wrong with Laptop either (I tried a couple), and it has probably to do with different antialiasing algorithm that Apple is using, which looks good on higher pixel density laptop panels, but not that great on exteranal monitors.

So... any advice from those using Macs with external monitor for text tasks? Obviously there are Mac displays, but I have some concerns about the glare. Then I heard good feedback about Dell UltraSharp and NEC IPS monitors. Trully appreciate your input for somebody new to Mac.

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2013 1:23 PM

Since posting my question, I've tried Dell 2209w (IPS) at work and it was great - very sharp and crisp and non-reflective. It was noticeably better than a Lenovo ThinkVision eIPS, and much better than my older mainstream non-IPS Acer LCD. So I'll go for either 24" or 27" Dell UltraSharp (I am assuming they are not worse than older Dell monitors like the one I've tried).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2013 1:23 PM in response to sdobr

Since posting my question, I've tried Dell 2209w (IPS) at work and it was great - very sharp and crisp and non-reflective. It was noticeably better than a Lenovo ThinkVision eIPS, and much better than my older mainstream non-IPS Acer LCD. So I'll go for either 24" or 27" Dell UltraSharp (I am assuming they are not worse than older Dell monitors like the one I've tried).

Jul 31, 2013 10:16 AM in response to catswin

Yes, I did get Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM. I am happy with it with one caviat (which would be the same for 27 Apple monitor). The picture quality is absolutely amazing - the text is very shart and clear, I can't imagine it to be better. The color is very good and natural, plenty of brigtness and contrast to produce a good picture in any light conditions, plus *no glare* screen surface, arguably making this monitor better than the Apple monitor.

The somewhat unexpected caviat is that since this monitor packs pretty high resolution in a 27" screen, the text appears smaller than on most other monitors (but would be the same as on Apple 27" monitor). It even *appears* smaller than on my 13" Macbook Pro, however at closer examination, that turned out to be not true. The text on the monitor is actually bigger than on laptop, but looks smaller since typically the external monitor is farther away from the eyes than a laptop monitor.

At first I wanted to return the monitor and exchange for smaller and lower DPI (read bigger text) 24" Ultrasharp, but then got used to my 27" monitor and decided to keep it. Hope this helps.

Best external monitor for text editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.