Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad thinks app is installed, but won't open and can't install

If I look for an app on my iPad, or use spotlight, it's not there.. But, when I go to search for it on the app store, I don't get the option to install. I only see the OPEN button where the INSTALL button would normally be. I click the OPEN button and nothing happens. I have rebooted, and it doesn't change.. If I check the Purchased section of the store, my app only shows up under the ALL tab, but doesn't show up on the Not on this iPad tab.

I am connected to WiFi and all my updates are up to date and I don't have any incomplete downloads- none that show as incomplete anyway.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this short of a wipe? I am on the road and have some road movies to watch. Slow wifi at hotel...

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3, 16GB

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 2:28 PM

After having this problem for weeks and trying everything, I found a solution! I went into the App Store, then to my purchased apps and clicked "update". All of the apps that needed to be updated including Instagram were listed there. Instagram said "open" but it was not even downloaded. After a few minutes Instagram appeared back on my home screen good as new! Hope this helped

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2017 2:28 PM in response to Brian burrow

After having this problem for weeks and trying everything, I found a solution! I went into the App Store, then to my purchased apps and clicked "update". All of the apps that needed to be updated including Instagram were listed there. Instagram said "open" but it was not even downloaded. After a few minutes Instagram appeared back on my home screen good as new! Hope this helped

iPad thinks app is installed, but won't open and can't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.