Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth speaker problems with Macbook Pro

Hi all,

I have just purchased a blue tooth speaker for my home, and am having chronic issues with the speakers cutting out when using my Macbook Pro. Sometimes it works ok, and then all of a sudden it's choppy and barely able to play. Also, I can barely move the speakers 10 feet away without starting to lose the signal. But even at super close range there is some choppyness at times (and sometimes it's pretty bad). I have an Iphone, and the speakers work perfectly with it. I have tried the speakers with my dad's Ipad and it works fantastic... In both cases (Iphone and Ipad), I can control the speaker from the basement, below the floor where the speakers are, without losing any signal or quality. I am currently testing the Big Jam Box, but have also tried the Bose SoundLink and had the same issues.

I have tried a few things, including changing the minimum bitrate to a few different things (40, 50, 60), and I haven't seen any improvement.

My MacBook is not showing any needed updates that relate to Bluetooth (there is a camera update, and Safari update showing I think).

I have tried disconnecting my Magic Mouse, thinking that might be causing interference. It didn't make a difference.

I tried deselecting/selecting many different options within the bluetooth preferences, to the point that my head is spinning.

Currently, I have the following selections made, which I think are pretty close to how the computer was sent to me:

- Bluetooth is "on" but not discoverable

- In the Advanced menu, I have deselected "reject in coming requests". In the serial ports box, the "on" is checked, but the next box (not even sure what that is) is unselected, and the type is showing as a MODEM (RS-232 is the other option).

- All other boxes in the Advanced Menu are checked.

- In the Sharing Menu, I have nothing selected.

Does anyone have any advice for how I should approach troubleshooting this? I've been googling this for a couple of weeks, and my brain is about to explode with all the information. Seems like many people are having similar issues, but many are finding resolutions to their issues, so I'm hopeful. Could I just have a bum bluetooth in my Macbook (it's only a month old), non retina.

Thank you in advance for any help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Also using a Magic Mouse

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 8:40 PM

3 replies

bluetooth speaker problems with Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.