Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Clean up

Is there a way to clean up your make to make it faster, I have a mac book pro from spring 2012, all my updates are current and i've just been using it for downloading, i try to keep as muck stuff on my external hard drive but it just seems to be getting progessivly slower, do mac's get viruses, is there a way to speed it up?

thanks

O

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 9:22 PM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2013 9:32 PM in response to Obama13

Generally, no maintainence is needed for your Mac. There are no viruses. It could be third party Login Items, or something else in your user account. Try logging into your Guest account and testing, or try starting in Safe Mode and see if the problem still occurs?

Restart holding the "shift" key.

(Expect it to take longer to start this way because it runs a directory check first.)

If this works look in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login items and delete any third party login items (-), you can always add them back with the (+). Also look in /Library/Startup Items. Nothing is put in that folder by default, so anything in there is yours.

Mac Clean up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.