Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are these specs overkill for music recording/video editing?

I haven't made any purchases yet... I'm still in the planning stages. I just need your opinion on this.

I plan on making high quality recordings using an iMac, Logic (whatever the newest one is), and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface.

I customized my iMac and I'm just curious whether or not these specs are overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish.

27 inch

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Pages

Apple USB SuperDrive

Accessory Kit

total: $2,447.99

I also plan to use this computer for video editing, so if you know anything about good specs for that feel free to let me now if this would be the right amount or too much. However, is this more than enough or overkill for the recording aspect?

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 9:29 PM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2013 9:40 PM in response to GrouchChump

Those specs are perfect for the iMac, and you won't have any problem making high quality recordings because it's the best iMac you can buy now. The only thing you can have problems is the memory, but you shouldn't buy your iMac with more memory, because you can buy it later from OWC or Crucial and save money. Probably 8 GB of memory won't be enough, but apart from that, it will work without any problem

Apr 30, 2013 9:42 PM in response to GrouchChump

You don't really need the i7 or 2 GB VRAM GPU for audio recoding, but seeing that you mentioned video editing, you will need these.

You could save a little by only going with the 1GB VRAM GPU, instead. This GPU would be alright for video work, too!

Don't forget to budget for the 3-year extended AppleCare warranty. You will need this.

You can purchase and register for the extended warranty any time within the first year of free AppleCare.

Good Luck!

Apr 30, 2013 9:54 PM in response to GrouchChump

If I downgraded to the 21.5inch and used these specs how much would I really be losing? Also would I ever be able to upgrade the graphics card after the purchase?

• 3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB GDDR5
  • Apple Magic Mouse
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
  • Pages
  • Apple USB SuperDrive
  • Accessory Kit

Apr 30, 2013 9:56 PM in response to GrouchChump

iMacs have a removable graphic card, but Apple only allows you to install the same graphic card. If you install a different graphic card on your iMac, you will void the warranty, so you mustn't replace the graphic. For your uses, the 21'5-inch iMac could work, but you could want a better graphic card, so I think that the 27-inch iMac is a better computer for you

Apr 30, 2013 10:24 PM in response to GrouchChump

Totally agree with mende 1 on this.

The 27 inch model is best for what you want to do.

Also, for video editing, you really need the fastest CPU and as much RAM as you can afford.

As I stated, either the 1 or 2GB VRAM GPU will be fine for video work.

If you decide to delve into doing video work and editing, I would, also, recommend at some later date, purchasing a couple of ext. USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt hard drives to assist with the workflow.

Having raw video footage on external hard drives leaves the iMac's internal drive optimized for doing the actual software video tasks by not loading up the internal drive with lots of raw, high GB video footage.

You can, also, store audio projects, iTunes and iPhoto libraries on ext. hard drives, as well.

Are these specs overkill for music recording/video editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.