Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Theft and Security

I am going to be traveling to a third world country and the possibility of my Macbook Pro being stolen is 50%. I have already enabled encryption on all drives with Filevault to protect my data. I was exploring the option to enable the firmware password with the reboot - Command - R option, haven't done it yet. I ran accross a scoundrel in NJ offering to remove the EFI chip on the motherboard and replace it with a new reflashed one and to wipe the drives. Their site is:

http://jerseycityrepair.com/remove-firmware-password-macbook-air/

If you click on his link about me under the website above you can read the discussions from theives on his site, sickening.

I don't know why apple would allow an institution or individual to run a operation to defeat security measures that its customers depend on.

If my Macbook was stolen, I wouldn't be as concerned about getting it back as much as some ahole somewhere using it for free.

I guess I will enable firmware encryption, i guess that will at least cost a theif $199.

If firmware password and FileVault encryption on main volume is enabled will I need to enable encryption in the recovery volume?

thanks

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH,EARLY 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 9:58 PM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2013 11:00 PM in response to pjdube

I was just reading that i should register with a property database and install something of the sort. Is Prey a good alternative to the others. There seems to be several applications. I don't know whether or not to implement the firmware password or not. If I do, it seems, none of the recovery apps will be able to function without the guest account. If I don't the theif will not have to spend $199 dollars to use the device. He may never use the guest account and just wipe it and reinstall his own software. If I could just find a usb key to leave in my laptop bag that would cause destruction when plugged in to my Mac I would be content.

Theft and Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.