Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get iTunes to add a (home) video to the library.

Adding a video to iTunes. "Help" (HA!) says to use Menu/File/Add File to Library or drag and drop, just like an audio file. Neither works for me. If I drag and drop, iTunes will create an empty playlist with the filename of the video; no file, just the name. iTunes v11.0.2.26

iPhone 3GS (8GB), Windows 8

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 10:21 PM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2013 10:39 PM in response to pjw19804

I should have researched more ... iTunes ignores .wmv and .mpg ...

If they are not in a supported format then you won't be able to add them (from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2729) :

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.
  • Video podcasts.
  • iTunes Digital Copies.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

May 2, 2013 4:13 PM in response to pjw19804

MY problem is I can see the vids I've added... I can easily add them to play lists... and when I click on one, I can see it play in iTunes... But, even tho all these vids are in a playlist, only one will play at a time... so, no matter what I do, I can't get the next vid in the playlist to play sequentailly.

Vids I've purchased from Apple work just fine..... go figure.

I SUSPECT this is Apple's way of telling us to forget about home made vids, and ONLY use vids purchased in the iTunes store....

Can't get iTunes to add a (home) video to the library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.