Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What app do i need to Cut,crop ,and paste .what I want to do is cut something from one picture ( face,object etc)align to another picture and paste??

I'm sure you've all seen the comic pics with someone's head stuck on someone or something's body,I have a mac book pro retina and was wondering if there is one of the pre installed apps that you can use or would I need something else? Let ma just say I don't want to spend big bucks on a photo shop type programme ,but would go for something like appature if it was capable of what I'm looking to do

Thanks for reading. Jeff

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 1, 2013 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2013 2:02 AM

Neither iPhoto nor Aperture are the apps you want. These are 'digital darkroom' apps, designed to manage your photos and help you maximise the qulaity of the exposed image. What you're talking anout is a compositing application, or the more traditional image editor.

In order of price here are some suggestions:

Seashore (free)

The Gimp (free)

Graphic Coverter ($45 approx)

Acorn ($50 approx)

Pixelmator ($50 approx)

Photoshop Elements ($75 approx)

There are many, many other options. Search on MacUpdate. You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2013 2:02 AM in response to Spiderspid

Neither iPhoto nor Aperture are the apps you want. These are 'digital darkroom' apps, designed to manage your photos and help you maximise the qulaity of the exposed image. What you're talking anout is a compositing application, or the more traditional image editor.

In order of price here are some suggestions:

Seashore (free)

The Gimp (free)

Graphic Coverter ($45 approx)

Acorn ($50 approx)

Pixelmator ($50 approx)

Photoshop Elements ($75 approx)

There are many, many other options. Search on MacUpdate. You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

May 1, 2013 11:21 AM in response to Spiderspid

If you plan on getting and using Photoshop Elements with iPhoto the following may be of interest to you:

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Note: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

OT

Nov 30, 2013 9:16 PM in response to Yer_Man

I am hopeful someone can help me here. I have the most current version of iPhoto, and just downloaded and installed PSE, I have set PSE as the editor of choice via advanced settings in iPhoto. My problem is when I double click on the photo in iPhoto all it does is open to full size in iPhoto. I double click again and it goes back to thumbnail size. That's not really all that big of a deal as I can simply right click and choose to edit the photo in the external editor and then PSE opens but it opens blank. It doesn't open and show my photo. I have read NOT to look in the iphoto library at all to try to find photos via the finder and such so how do I get the photo to open in PSE via iphoto? Only thing I can think to do is export the photo I want to work on from iphoto to my desktop or other folder, then open PSE and bring in that exported photo, edit, save, then reimport? Seems tedious. Any advice or "wake up ding-a-ling! You're missing a step" would be appreciated!

Message was edited by: KTBaby

Nov 30, 2013 10:30 PM in response to LarryHN

Thank you Larry, But I seem to be having a hard time finding these details in the forums. I have been searching and searching for about an hour with no luck. If you have some direction you can provide that would be great. Also, you say its hidden in the resource folder? What does that mean? Am I looking for a folder called "resource"? I followed the steps provided above by Terence and Old Toad, but it doesn't seem to work for me. 😕

What app do i need to Cut,crop ,and paste .what I want to do is cut something from one picture ( face,object etc)align to another picture and paste??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.