Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I transfer a video from iPad to PC it is always upside down, why is this please?

When we transfer a video from our Retina Display iPad to our PC, it always comes across upside down. Can anyone tell us why and how to get the video across the right way up please? Thanks.

iPad

Posted on May 1, 2013 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:29 AM

I got fed up with this happening and literally STUCK an arrow on the ipad pointing "up" because I thought I must have been holding it upside down!!- which I don't think is the case. The question is not so much WHY this keeps happening, but rather why Apple produced an EXPENSIVE device that continually seems to demonstrate this behaviour (believe me you're not alone with this one. I had to search out another programme to "flip" the videos when it continually happened to me, (Windows Movie Maker will do it) and I've yet to hear a satisfactory reason/ excuse as to what it's about).

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2014 2:29 AM in response to JJacobite

I got fed up with this happening and literally STUCK an arrow on the ipad pointing "up" because I thought I must have been holding it upside down!!- which I don't think is the case. The question is not so much WHY this keeps happening, but rather why Apple produced an EXPENSIVE device that continually seems to demonstrate this behaviour (believe me you're not alone with this one. I had to search out another programme to "flip" the videos when it continually happened to me, (Windows Movie Maker will do it) and I've yet to hear a satisfactory reason/ excuse as to what it's about).

May 27, 2013 1:36 AM in response to JJacobite

you can properly shot videos with iPhone iPad or iPod touch to avoid this video upside down or sideways problem.

When shooting iPad video always turn the ipad on the side and film in landscape and make sure to hold your iPad with the Home button on the right. Portrait iPad videos will play 90 degrees sideways with Windows PC, landscape iPhone videos with the Home button on the wrong side will play upside down on Window PC.

source: http://www.videoslimmerapp.com/iphone-video-upside-down.html

Jul 9, 2014 8:13 AM in response to johnhb2

Apple embeds standard meta data in video and photo files produced by iDevices such as iPhones and iPads to determine orientation.

This is done so that no matter how you hold the device the video and photos are always right side up. Because physical cameras do have an up and down to them. If you rotate a camera then the video will be rotated as well.

If the software being used to view these files does not read or correctly identify the meta data for orientation it will not correctly rotate the video. And as such will not be correctly dispalyed.

This is more of a failure form the software playing back the video then the iPad or iPhone itself.

The easy way to remedy this, is to make sure the iPad or iPhone is held in the correct orientation when filming or taking pictures.

Aug 10, 2014 9:21 AM in response to johnhb2

Its not the Apple Process. Its the physical act of holding the iPad or iPhone camera upside down when taking the picture, or filming.

Turn your iPad around 180 degrees the next time you take a picture and the photos or movie will be right side up.

Apple does the smart thing, so it doesn't matter how you hold the device the photos and videos are always displayed right side up. Other software may not do this.

When I transfer a video from iPad to PC it is always upside down, why is this please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.