Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Background rendering faster if quit FCP X and reopen.

After importing video to FCP X, I find it takes ages for the background rendering to move from 0% to 1%, but if I quit the app then reopen, it is so much faster to render. Is this normal for FCP X?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 1, 2013 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2013 6:12 AM

I have not had that issue. But it is best practice to turn off background render, and just render when you need it

8 replies

May 1, 2013 10:57 AM in response to innocentius

Thanks to everyone's replies. I posted the question just before I left home for a few hours (as in the UK so at least 5 hours ahead of most people in this forum), as didn't think I would get any replies before the time I got home.

I appreciate all the comments and how quick everyone replied.

I did not consider "not having background rendering on" until this post. However, feel Tom's point about setting the delay to say 600 seconds is probably the best option so if I am away from my Mac for a while, it will start rendering in the background, but not when I'm using it.

I only have 10GB of RAM so background rendering slows down my machine. It's definitely not been so slow since I have used it again now.

Thanks again

Matt

Dec 3, 2013 3:53 PM in response to AppleMacCider

I have very similar problem - if FCPX has to render or share or what have you it seems to almost stop if the application is in the background (ie,, if you have made a project and waiting for it to share so your on safari) it seems to go VERY slowly, and uses only a small percentage of the CPU. As soon as you bring FCPX to the foreground the percentage CPU used jumps to 2-300% and the whole process speeds up.

Would turning background render off or setting a long time delay help this?

Dec 4, 2013 3:33 AM in response to fiddlemcwiddle

fiddlemcwiddle wrote:

I have very similar problem - if FCPX has to render or share or what have you it seems to almost stop if the application is in the background (ie,, if you have made a project and waiting for it to share so your on safari) it seems to go VERY slowly, and uses only a small percentage of the CPU. As soon as you bring FCPX to the foreground the percentage CPU used jumps to 2-300% and the whole process speeds up.

Would turning background render off or setting a long time delay help this?

No - this is a different issue. I bet you are using Mavericks. Mavericks introduced a feature called "App Nap" that reduces power consumption and devotes more resources to the foreground application by "napping" any apps in the background. This is something you DON'T want with FCP X, but it is easy to fix.

In the Finder, go the Applications folder (Cmd-Shift-A will open this folder automatically for you); select the Final Cut Pro icon; hit Cmd-I (this opens the "Get Info" window); check the box that says "Prevent App Nap".

Note: this is likely to be a transient situation, as the current version of FCP X dates back from before the Mavericks introduction; newer applications are supposed to inform the OS that they don't want to nap.

Background rendering faster if quit FCP X and reopen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.